Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate any info/history on the Cowboy Limited. I have shot CAS for five years and never seen my model. Recently, found two on the net; one in an auction site and one in a general site. Have seen listings for many "Cowboy Limited" but none had the gold "Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited" script nor the laser stock. What is the differance.
The auction site stated only 2,500 made in 1994. Is this so?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there floyddentist -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Is yours any different than this one?? Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I think you got one of those commemorative models that they made periodically. Watch GB and one will come up again, maybe you can get more info. Would you even want to shoot one??

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been wondering the samething about the ones with the gold in-lay on the lettering. I've got a 44mag that has the gold and was wondering if they were limited to a certain number. Maybe someone will shed some light on the particulars of the gold in-lays. When i get a chance i'll take a pic. It would be the same area that Wind posted a pic of except gold in the lettering. I'm glad to here someone else has this. I was thinking someone done it second hand or something, but looks to good so must be factory. What do you mean by Laser stock? I'm not familular as to what that would be. Checkering?or Engraving?

By the way welcome to the MO family.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Doc Fillem,

The one you listed is a Talo exclusive introduced back in Jan 2005. Thier site lists it as a .44 Spec though and the one on Gunbroker is a .45 Colt. Maybe Marlin sent them some .45s in addition to the .44s? http://www.taloinc.com/marlin.htm

I think I remember reading that there were two runs (by Marlin) of the Cowboy Special. I seem to remember the first run had more features than the second. Maybe the gold lettering and for some reason I seem to remember something different about the barrel, besides the gold lettering on it.

Sorry, doesn't help much,
-Bob George

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had one of the Cowboy Limiteds in .45 Long Colt that was made in 1995. I *think* it was a Davidson's special. It brought a premium price, as it was one of the first short barreled Cowboy guns. It did not have any gold in the lettering, which suggests someone put that on after purchasing it.

Subsequent to this limited edition, Marlin began making all their Cowboy guns with 20" barrels. So, there is no longer anything distinctive about the gun -- except that Elmer Fud put some gold paint in the roll marks.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Marlin made some limitied runs for Davidsons called "Cowboy Carbine Limited" (CCL) of 20" Cowboys with slim uncheckered wood back when the regular Cowboy sported a 24" barrel and thicker checkered wood. Most of those were in calibers that were not duplicated when the regular cowboy went to the 20" barrel and no checkering. 41 Mag, 44-40 and 32-20 although there was a run in 45 Colt. All of these have unique serial numbering that doesn't match the standard serial numbers. Most were in runs of 500 or less with the 44-40 being the smallest run at 325 guns built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts