Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just picked up my first Marlin bought sight unseen online. Advertised as Marlin Lever Gun. I could not believe my eyes. It is a 20" inch Cowboy Competition model in 45 Colt. Has case hardened receiver, hammer, lever, trigger. Mint condition, with original box and paperwork. I feel like I struck gold. I know its worth more than I paid, but what is it worth? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
It's worth whatever you paid for it to you. We can't judge what we can't see so you need to post pics. Sounds like a beautiful gun that we all would like to see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post some tonight. It is brand new flawless. My only issue was I had planned to put a scope on it for deer (eyes cant use irons anymore) however I did not know that this was a Competition model nor that it is not drilled and tapped. I guess my gunsmith can help me there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can probably sale it to a Cowboy Action Shooter and buy a standard cowboy or cowboy limited that and come out ahead.

·
Super Moderator
17,120 Posts
Criminy!!! That is a beauty.... Be a shame to molest it with a D & T job.... Either sell it and buy what you want or ( I'd do this ) keep it and buy what you want.... You might want to re-post it for these folks to see and help you with pricing it... http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a decent gun collection, and I think I will have a hard time parting with it. Obviously, the seller did not know what he had (knowing what I paid). I may just have to go find another :aetsch:

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Hey Turt,

Welcome to MO.

Great Score!

That is a fine looking 1894 CB!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Turt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Msharley. I'm absolutley giddy! Had no idea other than 1894 in 45 Colt when I sent payment, figuring even if is well used condition a standard 1894 would be worth what I paid. Had no idea it was a Cowboy Competition or case hardened... Much less having a minty box with original papers!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, sure is purdy! Enjoy...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! I too would have a tough time scoping that beauty, and a tougher time selling it. Your prognosis is Marlinitis, so might as well keep it and find a shooter 1894 that's already d/t'd to hunt with.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
DAng that's pretty....I've been wanting a 1894 CB in 45 Colt...I figure it'll go with the 50 round box of .45 Colt I have pretty well.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Those are hard to come by. No way in Hail I would tap that for a scope. That would be as sinfull as drilling a Waffletop.

Congrats for a lucky find.

Hayden.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Those are hard to come by. No way in Hail I would tap that for a scope. That would be as sinfull as drilling a Waffletop.

Congrats for a lucky find.

Hayden.
I would be willing to trade for a 1894 trapper 16.25" barrel in 45 Colt. Otherwise, she may be getting D&T'ed.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Turt,

I would say a thank full prayer to God for getting that Marlin (and the fact that I was only afflicted with Marlinitis). I would NOT (personally) D&T that work of art, be thankful for my blessing, and buy whatever I really wanted next go around (it is going to happen again, we all know it because we have it). But it is your weapon now so it is your decision. Congratulations!

JX

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure I would Tap that girl. Theres others you can get to do that to. She one them leverite guns. leverite like she is. JMHO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turt,

I would say a thank full prayer to God for getting that Marlin (and the fact that I was only afflicted with Marlinitis). I would NOT (personally) D&T that work of art, be thankful for my blessing, and buy whatever I really wanted next go around (it is going to happen again, we all know it because we have it). But it is your weapon now so it is your decision. Congratulations!

JX
Definatley a blessing. Until this purchase, I had no idea about Marlinitis. Now I'm a walking zombie ate up with it. I just marvel at the craftsmanship, the balance, and the functionality of these little lever guns.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Take a breath, relax, and start the hunt for a scope ready specimen- you will regret changing that beauty, and if you ever decide to sell it, slashing your profit margin. If I had a shorty 45 LC I'd trade in a second. Alas, I have only 44 mags.

I have a Ruger 44 carbine (the one that looks like a mini) in 44 I'd be interested in trading- scope ready with factory rings

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take a breath, relax, and start the hunt for a scope ready specimen- you will regret changing that beauty, and if you ever decide to sell it, slashing your profit margin. If I had a shorty 45 LC I'd trade in a second. Alas, I have only 44 mags.

I have a Ruger 44 carbine (the one that looks like a mini) in 44 I'd be interested in trading- scope ready with factory rings
Appreciate the offer, but gotta be 45 Colt. I love that cartridge and handload for my S&W Mountain Gun. I have already been experimenting with rifle magnum hunting loads for this rifle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts