Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one? I need infromation. I would guess this is a SASS type rifle. What is the going price? Years made 2004 and 2005? Any future in owning one?
XB

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't know the exact date range of manufacture but these were made to help satisfy folks involved in Cowboy Action Shooting.

The Cowboy 'Comp' came in either .38 special only (not .357) and .45 Colt. They also have 20" barrels.

They were supposedly slicked up from the factory but for Cowboy Action Shooting, they still needed some slickem up work in order to run faster and smoother.

Also, their receivers and levers were color case hardened (or fake case hardened, I should say).

When they were being produced and readily available, they were selling NEW for around 650+.....give or take a few bucks.

If you can find a good used one for $600 - $700, you might want to consider getting it.

I just grabbed one up USED but yet unfired and still in the box by its original owner. Price: $680 of which I gladly paid.

..........Widder

·
Registered
928 Posts
These can only use 38 special no 357 right?

Is there any advantages speed or reliability related to using 38 special in a 38 special specific rifle vs the 38/357 version?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
567 Posts
Miller:

the 'Cowboy Competition' in .38 special is cartridge specific.....it WILL NOT handle .357 length shells.

As far as speed, my guess is that neither has a speed advantage over the other.

..........Widder

·
Registered
928 Posts
OK Widder

Thanks

Then if there is no advantage to 38 only, why make it and not a 38/357?

Anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a CBC in 38, never tried 357 in it, have read a few of them will shoot 357, I have carrier for the 38 only and it is the same as the 357, just cost more to buy than the 357 carrier. I don't have any 357 so I don't know if mind will shoot 357 or not, like I said some will

As Widowmaker said, they still need some smoothing especially if using it for cowboy shooting, that is why they only made them for a couple of years, the cowboy crowd didn't like them, it wasn't smooth enough out of the box for fast shooting, the regular marlins could be had cheaper even with a action job.

All for now JD Trampas

·
Registered
567 Posts
Howdy Miller.

I can only guess as to why Marlin made their competition in .38 Spl only.

My guess: because quite a few Marlin 1894's are OAL (Over All Length) sensitive, maybe the Marlin experts felt like they could slick one up and make it run well (better) if they minimized any foreseen problems associated with running an 1894 at supersonic speeds. Therefore, they could focus on a simpler timing margin for a singular length round.

Anyhow, thats just a guess.

PLUS, I'm sure they figured the color case hardening look would also attract Cowboy Action Shooters and needed to be 'different'.

ALOT of Cowboy action shooters who buy the Marlin in .38/.357 still only use .38 Spl in them. I don't know the exact percentages with Marlin owners but the ratio of .38 brass collected at Cowboy Action shoots vastly outnumbers all the other calibers allowed in the game.....atleast according to some recent statistics I read on the SASS Wire.

I have both and enjoy them both equally. But I also only feed my .38/.357 Marlin 1894 a steady diet of .38 Spl only.

P.S. - I bet Leveraddict and/or Lever Dude can shed some factual info on this topic. Mine is purely a guess.

best regards

..........Widder

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
That .100 or 1/10th of an inch can mean something as far as speed and mods are concerned.

Convert your Marlin with a short throw lever and it changes a lot as far as speed is concerned.

The .38 only is a good idea a lot of shooters use the shorter round for less recoil, faster cycling.

Me I would like to have a .38 only in a regular 94 to play with and see what I could make of it.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have two 38 Spl. Cowboy Comps. One is NIB for collecting and the other for shooting. Both made in 2002. I paid $850 for the NIB one and $695 for the other. Yes, the "factory tuned action" is a joke.

When I started CAS in 2005 there were several new ones around but $750 was a lot to pay when you could buy a new '94C for $350, which is what I did. Later, when I wanted a Cowboy Comp there were none to be had.

They are great rifles, I really like the casehardened look of the receiver.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought one about a year ago and haven't had the time to shoot it yet. In my eye the value to having it in the special cal only is that tuning it to feed the shorter cartridge only doesn't require a compromise between the two. I did not buy it for competition, but with the idea that I have considerable more special brass than mag brass and don't run my 357's full bore anyway, so I am hoping it will be a reliable feeder with the shorter brass. Besides, I liked the color case 'hardened' looks and I don't really need a reason to buy another Marlin, 'specially if I don't already have on of them.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
swany said:
That .100 or 1/10th of an inch can mean something as far as speed and mods are concerned.

Convert your Marlin with a short throw lever and it changes a lot as far as speed is concerned.

The .38 only is a good idea a lot of shooters use the shorter round for less recoil, faster cycling.
As for reduced recoil keeping you on target. When those came out Trail Boss powder didn't exist. So it made sense to have a 38 special only version.

Then add Hal's other reasons and it makes perfect sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts