Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Am I asking a stoopid question -??

I have always understood that there were never any 1894 Cowboy 357 in Octagonal Barrel Stainless

I am based in England - an am being told that there are ...................

Can anyone shed any light ??

Regards

Roy
Berkshire, England UK

·
Registered
549 Posts
And if there are, were there any in .45LC? I'm a huge fan of octagonal barrels, especially if it involves a stainless gun.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I've been studying the Marlin 1894 for about a dozen years now and if there's an octagon stainless model, it's never been in the catalogs or discussed online anywhere. Can't say about someone having done a custom rifle, but I'm darned sure that one never came out of the factory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Willy

Thats what I thought - at least I know I'm not going mad now (I think !!!)

I am going to ask the guy for pictures of this mythical beast !!!!

Regards

Roy

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm crazy for 16" barreled rifles of almost any sort, especially full octagon ones and I had thought of doing an 1895 for years. Luckily for me Davidson commissioned Marlin to do the STP's. They don't have full octagon barrels but I was willing to live with it, that is until I stumbled upon that pic of a delicious DRC '94 with a 16" stainless octagon barrel. I was doomed I tell ya, doomed!
I just had to have a similar model made up on an 1895 and that's what led me to my recent predicament with a new SBL. I've located a company who will make and install a 16" stainless full octagon barrel on my rifle for a reasonable fee. The SBL fiasco has been resolved and after an exchange of many pictures and reassurances from the dealer that his new STBL does not suffer from any of the problems that my previous SBL had, I purchased it. As soon as it arrives (and if it survives my inspection!) it's off to the barrel company to be converted into my lever dream gun.
The process has already begun, I was lucky enough to find a new midnight laminated stock set from another member and I'll use them on this project. If the walnut stocks that come on the STBL are nice ones, I'll sell them to someone that likes walnut stocks. I've always liked midnight laminate on guns and I've changed several out over the years.
Luckily the STBL already has a big loop lever on it, so I'm going to put it on one of my STP's. Then I'll be installing a DRC big loop lever on my dream rifle. Actually with a 16" barrel it would more correctly be called a carbine instead.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If the STBL walnut stock and forearm will fit my 336bl, I'd love to have them if the price can be worked out. Pm me.
Thanks,
D White

·
Registered
549 Posts
Will do. As soon as it arrives I'll post some pics of it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have been shooting Cowboy Action Shooting matches for a few years now and I have been dreaming of Marlin coming out with a stainless steel Cowboy in .38. I can't see it happening for a few years or ever for that matter. Been thinking that I would get an 1894CSS if I ran across one and ship it out to have it converted. Noonan and David Clements could do the work too. I am sure WWG in Alaska wouldn't mind putting one together either.

Jay

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Boy Mountain William my wifes gonna be be mad at you for posting that 1894. Looks like a s&w 500 perhaps. Wonder what a conversion like that would cost.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Its a 500 alright and pricey. I'd prefer it in .460 S&W, but I don't know if the receiver could take that high of pressure.
It's not quite a full octagon, if you look closely, the rear section profile is round. You can see a better pic of it on the current DRC web site.
One thing I noticed on their site that caught my interest, apparently the 1895's do NOT use Marlin receivers.
http://www.drcfirearms.com/

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I'm crazy for 16" barreled rifles of almost any sort,
That's kind of like me... I think the 16" is one of the handiest rifles... er, carbines around. I bought my brother a .45 Colt Trapper some years ago, that thing is so sweet I almost repossesed it!

I suppose my dream rifle is to have my 1894FG cut down to 16", octagon or not. Some day.... ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts