Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeeze. Went into my local gun store the other day and cheaked out a 1894 44mag in Stainless. Wow, what a beauty. I have a 1895G already but man this thing is sweet looking and feels like a kids gun. Really light, hold 10rds. Be a great cougar gun. What do you fellas manily use your 1894's for? Need some reason to buy, I'm sure you guys can help.

G

·
I use mine for hunting anything out to 100 yards - and a lot of target shooting and plinking. I'm crazy about my 1894p with a Ashley / Scout set-up. The inexpensive 240 grain JSP Winchester loads seem to group the best.

I've looked at that rifle as an all weather rifle - would be plenty for a cat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had my 94SS since last Monday and yes indeed, it's a beaut!

A little over a year ago my wife spotted a cougar sauntering under the clothesline right after she'd come inside from having hung clothes out (she was having a cup of coffee and happened to glance out the window). My 12 year old (at the time) daughter later claimed she saw it two days later in the neighbor's yard near their horses.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources insists there aren't any in our area--but we've had plenty of locals see 'em, even one biologist come up with some scat, which the DNR still refuses to acknowledge. Of course, if they do recognize the cats are in our area, they have to take responsibility for them, and they're not in the budget.

I plan mainly to go after deer with my 94SS, but at the same time, it'll be a great self-defense-from-stray-aggressive-critters rifle if that particular time ever comes.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but over here the locals tell me they all practice "The Three S's," which is "shoot, shovel and shut up." :lol:

Larry

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3 S's are good here too. :) For better and for worse we have a very high population of cats and can take 2 a year. However, good friends I know have come across these cats while out on casual outings in the woods. On each seperate occasion both men were being stalked. One while mushroom picking. The other deer hunting. They were both very lucky, one guy happened to turn around to see the cat at 20yrds no noise just happened to turn and look behind him. The other fellow heard noise and turned only to see a cat ready to pounce. They were outfitted with a 284, and 30'06 rifles. Both animals were killed.
When these "stalkings" happend neither one had a tag for a cat. Both of them contacted the Conservation office to report the inncident. One wanted to keep the cat and was acctually allowed considering the curcumstances. Got the hide tanned. The other guy let the CO's take the animal away. These were two different attacks I remind you.
Considering the populaton of Cats around here and the fact a guy was severly mauled buy one and accually killed it with a 5inch pocket knife 2yrs ago. These situations are unfortunalty more common than we'd (I'd) like.
Interesting but true. While I have much respect for cats, Monday I head out to decrese the populaton of them

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seabass, I looked at the 44m and 357m, primarily for cougar defense. Where we are in central Oregon we don’t have bears so went with the 357 (1894C) as it’s a little cheaper to feed. Sure is a nice little rifle.

Grug

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got back from hunting. Cats won. Went out early this morning and drove all over hells creation. There were three of us in trucks covering as much ground as possible, one guy was forced to go home with a broken down truck and we kept trucking. Found fresh wolf tracks first thing right off the bat, they had found some elk. Don't know if the wolves caught up with them but they were sure on the right track. Elk scat, tracks, beds, with wolf tracks following in the elk direction.
Found one set of Cougar tracks, thought they were pretty fresh and put a dog on the trail. Snift around untill the tracks hit the trees and lost the sent in the timber and there was no snow for us to see where it went.
Oh well I'll be out again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 1894 is a 1976 vintage in .44 Mag and is one of my two favorite carbines (the other is my 1895M). The 1894 is light, handy and yes packs 10 + 1 of the wonderful .44 Rem Mag round. A finer saddle or truck gun is hard to find.

In fact my 1894 saved my butt from a Cougar in July of '02 on my little ranch in the mtns of NW Arizona. The cougar did it's best to get me but by the time the shooting was over a few frantic seconds later it lay dead 18 feet away and I was still standing, so that little 1894 holds a special place in my heart...

·
Registered
363 Posts
ARIZONA -"In fact my 1894 saved my butt from a Cougar in July of '02 on my little ranch in the mtns of NW Arizona. The cougar did it's best to get me but by the time the shooting was over a few frantic seconds later it lay dead 18 feet away and I was still standing, so that little 1894 holds a special place in my heart..."

Arizona, sounds very interesting. How about some details?? I've seen three Mountain lions out in the boonies myself, but haven't had any "run-ins."

Thanks. L.W.

·
Registered
311 Posts
SEABASS,
The 1894 in 44Mag is a great gun for Hog/Deer hunting in the thick. I feel, as do others, that shots out to 100+ are well within it's capability. I have a Loopy 1x4x20 on mine which enhances this very fine rifle. The factory Winchester 240 gr. JSP is accurate and hard hitting IMHO.
I would like one of those snazzy SS models!
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts