Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's store today at about noon. I noticed that they had a large number of 1894's in their used gun rack. Looks like a collector may have unloaded his Marlins.

There were two 1894's for sale in 45 Colt. They were unique in that they had plain smooth birch stocks, rather than walnut, and 20 inch round barrels. They were marked "as new with box" for only $299! They seem to be unique in some way because the model number was marked "1894" a large space of about 2" or so and then "45 Colt". These stampings did not seem to match the usual Marlin script. The serial numbers both began with 98 so they appear to be 2002 production.

There was also a used but nice 1894CL in 218 Bee, a clean used Marlin 512 Slugmaster (wood stock/blued), and a Model 50 DL goose gun with synthetic stock that appeared new.

There were also about 15-20 rimfires bolt rifles of various calibers, some looked like Ducks Unlimited models.

There were also about 10 or so 1894's in 357 and 44 mag used and new, as well as one 1894 Cowboy Comp in 38. Prices looked cheap like they were trying to clear them out.

They were there as of noon today.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 94s with birch stocks were probably some of the guns they made for big-5 a couple of years ago. I think big-5 was selling them for around $299.00

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't remember excactly what they wanted for the Bee, but it seems that it was right around $300 also. I'd call the store if you were really interested. The Bee had a weaver base on it for a scope and a hammer extension but no rings. It had some minor handling dents to the wood but looked like it would clean up nice and be a decent shooter.

G

·
I just signed a check for a new kitchen floor. Oh my, how prices have escalated in flooring. For the forseeable future I'll have to stick with my meager Marlin collection. Want me to check it out for you Dr. A?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
You are sort of my gunbroker, aren't you? If its half-way decent, I'd sure take it. None of those around here. Mid-Westerners are boring, and like the WSM cartridges! Boy, I've really been enjoying that 32 mag. This would definitely be another diversion.

G

·
Tell you what, Dr. A. I'll call them this morning to see if it's still there and if it is, I'll take a drive there to check it out for you. Or would you want me to pick it up and we'll work out the details afterwards? This is assuming the price is as remembered in the above post.

There is a danger here that involves me "falling for" this 218 CL. That would be a risk you'll have to take once I actually look at the rifle.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Go ahead and buy it and keep it if you must. I will buy it from you if its as he says. Stocks are nice, but it needs to shoot to make me happy. 300 is a deal for one of those. Go for it, if it isn't too much for you, Frank.

G

·
Dr. A,
It's still there but $400.00! Since I would be buying it, there is the matte of sales tax too - 6%. They're going to call me back with details. Please let me know if that price is still acceptable otherwise I won't be driving there since it's about a 90 mile round trip. But if you still want it, condition being good enough, I will gladly pick it up for you.

Frank

G

·
David,

Cabelas just called back . . the rifle was sold on the 20th and their computer record wasn't up to date when I called. You know, a fellow can only have so many diversions anyway.

I'll keep an eye open for one of these CL's. If I'm short of funds when that happens you'll be the first to know.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Frank, I surely do appreciate your help. Its not like I need another rifle, but those things only come around every so often. I keep hoping they'll make them new here again sometime. Of course once the annoucement occurs, I will be elderly by the time it is delivered. :lol: I did have a feeling that it was too good to be true. I never see deals that great. If you're still looking for something a little exotic, there are a couple of 32-20's on Auction arms from a place somewhere here in Kansas. (NIB) I'd like to go take a look at them, but Auction arms is kind of touchy about contacting the seller that way. I just bought a 32, and the accuracy on it is far superior than my 357. Big Medicine is right. If you're still looking for a toy, the 32's are probably a good bet. I think I'd prefer a 25-20 from what 35 REm. said in a post a couple of weeks ago. Happy THanksgiving to you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Must be nice to have a gun checker outer

Steelbanger,

The next time that I really need a particular Marlin, you will definitiely be the one I will contact first.

You and your wife have a good Thanksgiving.

You really missed a great time at the Lever Action Jubilee at Ridgeway. Hope you can make it next year.

Al

G

·
Hi Al,

Yes, that Jubilee shoot sure sounded like fun. The way things are looking it may be one of the few matches I will attend next year. It's definitely on my list. By the way, were you the third member of the winning Tres Banditos team?

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving too. We're dining at the home of our daughter & son-in-law. Their home is log construction, sets in the woods and almost every meal is interrupted by some wildlife outside the dining room windows. It doesn't get more traditional than that! Top that off with deer season on Monday and it makes for the most enjoyable times of the year.

If you're looking for Cowboy guns isn't our friend Darryl the man to see these days? Rumor has it that he's selling.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Dang...missed another one :cry: :cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts