Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the limited models from Davidsons? There is a real pretty 1894CB Limited in 44-40 at Sunbirds for 499$$. Oct. barrel and seems to be a 24 or 26 incher. If it was a .44mag or .357 I might have looked twice....It sure was nice tho.

G

·
I have a 44 mag CB Limited with checkering.I'm not 100% sure about this,but I believe that they were catalog guns not a Davidsons special run.
Your right it is nice,I was out shooting it this weekend with some handloads.If you see one in .357 or .44 Mag grab it,they don't make them with the 24" barrel anymore.

sprest22

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have the 1894 CB II Ltd. in .44M with 24" oct bbl and Marbles sights and I'm w/ sprest22 on this, Blaine - I don't think it's a Davidsons ltd. run but I could be wrong.

Why would you let it being a .44-40 stop you? You reload don't you ? ? ? That would be a plus for me!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CapeBuff said:
I have the 1894 CB II Ltd. in .44M with 24" oct bbl and Marbles sights and I'm w/ sprest22 on this, Blaine - I don't think it's a Davidsons ltd. run but I could be wrong.

Why would you let it being a .44-40 stop you? You reload don't you ? ? ? That would be a plus for me!
Oh crap.......I hope Bear 45-70 don't see that...........I've had most of the stuff sitting on a nice bench I've put together all summer and between band, work and now Mom and her sister visiting, I can't seem to get the program running........Bear's offered to come get me started and is getting pissed that I haven't started up yet :oops: :oops: But yes, eventually I'll reload, but for now, I'd rather have the .44 to go with my 629 or a .357 so I have an excuse for a 686 :wink:

G

·
I hear those 44-40's and 38-40's feed and cycle slicker than frog snot on a door knob with those slightly shouldered cases and all. Sometimes the 44-40 can use the same bullets as the 44mag and special. I believe they were what the Win 92 was designed for......I think.

......................................TM7

G

·
tubbythetuba said:
CapeBuff said:

Oh crap.......I hope Bear 45-70 don't see that...........I've had most of the stuff sitting on a nice bench I've put together all summer and between band, work and now Mom and her sister visiting, I can't seem to get the program running........Bear's offered to come get me started and is getting pissed that I haven't started up yet :oops: :oops: But yes, eventually I'll reload, but for now, I'd rather have the .44 to go with my 629 or a .357 so I have an excuse for a 686 :wink:
Why don't you buy the .44-40 and then you'd have an excuse to START reloadin' ? ? ?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anonymous said:
tubbythetuba said:
CapeBuff said:

Why don't you buy the .44-40 and then you'd have an excuse to START reloadin' ? ? ?
I've got a good excuse now.....just have to get off my ass and do it. :oops:

G

·
Tubby, I was putting off reloading for a long while before I finally got started up too.Do yorself a favor and just do it, once you get going you'll be mad you didn't start sooner.It's a lot of fun and shooting loads you made up is the icing on the cake.

sprest22

·
Registered
311 Posts
TTT,
I have a CB Limited in 41 Maggie. It has a 20" barrel and I think it was from a 1999 Davidson run of 1000. Couldn't resist the little gun. 41 ammo is real pricey(about 70 cents a pop). I remedied that problem by reloading. Plinkers are about 8 cents and hunters are about 25.
By the way, The slim forend and octagonal barrel are sweetness!
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Tubby what you describe with the 24" barrel is the standard 1894 Cowboy in 44-40 that was produced from 1996 to '99.

The last 1894s built in 44-40 was the only Davidson's Cowboy Carbine Limited (CCL) run in this caliber in 2000 with a 20" barrel. Only 325 were made with serial numbers 1894D001 to 1894D325. Both the standard production and Davidson's have "Cowboy Limited" rollstamped on the barrel. The Marlin model # for the Davidson's run in 44-40 is 1894D and it was uncataloged and came lettered from Marlin.

Hope this is of some help in identifying what you're looking at

BTW, the modern Marlin 1894 in 44-40 is capable of handling most .429 44 Magnum/Special bullets if you seat them deeper to meet COL and use a Lee Factory Crimp die. My deer hunting load is a 210gr Winchester Silvertip JHC resized to .429 (.430 won't chamber) and has a muzzle velocity of 1965fps in "ol' #81". It's got several deer to it's credit now and all have been one shot kills.

Willy

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
here is another vote for the 44-40.I have been reloading the 44-40 for years and one of my fav rounds.in a marlin or a win 92 clone you can load them to the old HV rounds...smoking :D
pete

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
txpete said:
here is another vote for the 44-40.I have been reloading the 44-40 for years and one of my fav rounds.in a marlin or a win 92 clone you can load them to the old HV rounds...smoking :D
pete

Yep, when you get the ol' 44-40 up to the old 44HV level, who needs a magnum? :wink:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang Pete....that's good looking!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tubbythetuba,

Where is this sunbirds store located? Would like to give them a call about the 44-40 rifle. Sent you an e-mail also...

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts