Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've looked in the forum and think I found my answers. I just put a deposit on a 1894 Carbine. It has the JM stamp, barrel says .357 Magnum. Research on the site tells me the "Carbine" was made solely in 1979. The serial number starts with "21" again pointing to 1979. Am I correct?

I've been looking for one of these for a while and nearly fell over when I picked it up.

This thing looks brand new.

If anyone can confirm what I found, please let me know.

I will post pics when I put together the rest of the money.

Thanks - Matt

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
My 1894 .357 starts with with a "21" as well, so does my Cousin's. I have heard that was the first year they were made and mine just says Model 1894 and .357 Magnum...............I think......don't have it with me right now, but it's by the back door waiting for me to get home and try the new Williams peep sight I put on it last night. Love to see pics when you get it. Welcome to MO from Ky by the way!

Okay, I just looked it is stamped: Mod 1894 - Carbine - Micro Grove -Cal .357 Magnum

Reactions: Matthew17

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Nice pick up matt! What a great rifle, you are going to love it! Someone will come along and confirm your question, I'm pretty sure you are right though. Look forward to the pics.
Enjoy,
JB

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hmmmmm--makes me wonder if what I thought is wrong----I thought 1894 carbine and 18894 c were the same thing-----is barrel stamped 1894 carbine???----My 1894 c is a 2002 model s/n starts w/98----stamped 357 mag---38 special-------Bee interesting to see what some o these more knowledgable folks post on here!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
My 1894 Carbine was made in '82 so it's not just the first year.

Yes, the barrel is stamped 1894 Carbine and it and the 1894C and 1894CS are the same configuration outside of the later ones have the cross bolt safety.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gun says

THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. NORTH HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.
MOD. 1894-CARBINE-MICO-GROOVE-CAL. .357 MAGNUM

it does have the JM stamp, and the serial number is 21045xxx

Looking in the library section it shows the 1894 CARBINE for 1979 only, then it appears to change to the Model 1894C.

2000 - 21 = 1979

Just trying to confirm. Thanks all.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The gun says

THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. NORTH HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.
MOD. 1894-CARBINE-MICO-GROOVE-CAL. .357 MAGNUM

it does have the JM stamp, and the serial number is 21045xxx

Looking in the library section it shows the 1894 CARBINE for 1979 only, then it appears to change to the Model 1894C.

2000 - 21 = 1979

Just trying to confirm. Thanks all.
Both of mine, which are '79 models, reads just as yours does.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looking forward to the pix!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well I learned another little fact here--(shows I ain't dead yet--old fart yes but dead no)----Matthew ya got a good one there (based on my 94c experiences)--they can surprise ya about their accuracy at distances----but as jackdaniels posted they can be hungry little beasties--so if ya ain't reloading yet ya may have to to keep it fed properly!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from OK! Looking forward to the pictures to drool over! :marchmellow:

·
Registered
287 Posts
In my LGS today saw a beautiful 1894 357 carbine. Serial # begins with 20. Anyone have any more info?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Take 20 from 2000 and you get 1980.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Buy it racinjason, unless they want crazy money

- hutch
There's nothing rational regarding money and a man's (woman's) desire with a love affair of a rifle. If ya gotta have it, ya just gotta have it no matter the cost..... Going broke with a smile on your face:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.