Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past month has been very good to me. It started when I purchased a Marlin 783 22mag with Marlin sling in excellent condition. A couple days later, I came upon a Ruger 77/22 first year model with factory sights and walnut stock at a great price. Fast-forward a couple more days, I pulled into Cabela’s just as they opened.
On my way to the lever action case in the gun library, I noticed a Ruger 77/22 nearly identical to the one I had just purchased, sans sights. They had it marked at $700, over twice what I had just paid for mine. I viewed that as a small victory in itself. I quickly went to my original gun library destination...the lever action section. Freshly put in the case minutes earlier that morning was the topic of this post, a Marlin 1894 Carbine manufactured the first year they were cataloged in 1979. I immediately looked it over and aside from the bullseye missing it looked great. Today when I took picture of barrel markings, I noticed some light freckling that my eyes did not pick up in store and that would not have made a difference on decision to buy. While it was priced at $500, I ended up getting it after tax for just under $480 out of pocket using a Cabela’s coupon and $250 worth of gift cards purchased on ebay for $200. While it will be painful when my bills come due this month, the pain may quickly be forgotten, as my daughter and I just got back from the range, grinning from ear to ear. I feel there would be more pain in knowing one got away than in cutting back on other spending for a while. I do not think I even dare walk into a store selling firearms for some time. It seems they always show up at the same time.

Having said that, I am planning a trip to Ogden Utah to visit the Browning museum this summer. While I love all my many Marlins, I do feel John Moses Browning was the man. Who knows how the US would have fared in the war efforts without his genius.

Long winded as I am, I must now give a shout out to Andy. I had contacted him earlier this week concerning sight options for the 77/22, my daughters Browning B92, and about missing mounting screws for my skinner express sight. He took care of me on the mounting screws (which arrived today), and gave me some great advice and options for my other rifles. I am looking forward to ordering more front sights from him as well as a rear in the near future. I just need to figure out if I want the brass or blued fronts, and how high I should get. It seems all my rifles have different front sight heights and widths. I hope to get to the outdoor range to test soon, but also have a vacation in the plans. It seems I do not get near the range time I would like.

Thanks again Andy. Your customer service is second to none.

I love the skinner sights. I have only been able to shoot it thus far at an indoor range at 25 yards to test functionality. It feeds 38 specials flawlessly. It appears I may be shooting an inch high at that distance, but I will test this out with my reloads at greater distances when I get a chance.

It seems I never get pictures of my daughter shooting her Marlin's. I did get a picture of her shooting her brother's Kimber though. I just figured i'd add that with the pictures of the Marlin, as while pulling a trigger may be fun, the time spent doing so with family and friends is what it is really all about.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Thank you Sir! Great to see you spending time with your Grandaughter. Please let us know when we can be more help.

Andy

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Thank you Sir! Great to see you spending time with your Grandaughter. Please let us know when we can be more help.
Andy
Andy makes the best sights IN MY OPINION - the only PEEPS that work for me with the variable apertures available - -
AND they really give classic Marlins extra good looks!!

Marlin 336ZG Skinner Gold Express and 39AWL Skinner Gold 1.jpg Marlin 336ZG Skinner Gold Express and 39AWL Skinner Gold 2.JPG Marlin 336ZG Skinner Gold Sights 1.jpg Marlin 336ZG Skinner Gold Sights 2.jpg

Ralph

GB45

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Impressive array of beauty there Ralph!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Has anyone used his brass front sight for hunting? I would like to know if you like it better than his black post.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Has anyone used his brass front sight for hunting? I would like to know if you like it better than his black post.
As you can see on my Zane Grey I put the brass front sight on it - I do not hunt but it gives a good contrast on the targets and the range. I also put the BLACK SKINNER Front and Rear set on an 1895 .45-70 for our friend KAWESKAR in Chile. You might ask him how the black works for hunting hogs down there...

MARLIN 1895G SKINNER FRONT SIGHT.JPG MARLIN 1895G SKINNER REAR SIGHT.JPG

GB45

·
Registered
598 Posts
Century limited did you keep the factory front sight ,,,if so how is it working out with the Express peep setup??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been vacationing this past month and have not had much of a chance to get online. To make matters worse, I'm afraid that I won't be of much help, as I have only had it out the one time I mentioned in prior post.

I plan on using the rifle primarily for plinking with minimal charge 38 special loads. When I get home from vacationing, my wife has a list of things to do so I will likely not get out to shoot it a whole lot for awhile. To make matters worse, I am not handling the desert heat as well as I used to, so not as likely to sneak out and shoot this summer instead of working on the honey do list. I intend on ordering a front sight from Skinner, but am hoping to get out and decide if I want a brass or blued sight. Either way, it will be one from Skinner that I can file down to the correct height. I may go with a taller rear stem and a taller front sight so that I can play with different loads and have more flexibility in my reloading.

While I would like to set up my Marlin 1894C's for hunting, at this point in my life I have been using them for plinking.

I wish I could be of more help. From what I have read, it is very rifle and ammunition dependent when choosing a front sight height, not to mention how one chooses to view the sight picture (dot on target or 6 o'clock hold for instance). Having said that, I have found that for me I have always needed a taller front sight on my 1894C's, 1894, and 336, even with the express sight. Many have stated their front works just fine.

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey CL,

Great looking Limited!

Good for you.

Later, Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts