Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 1894 357 pre saftey for 500.00 in real nice shape. Was this a fair price?

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
If we told you it wasn't would you take it back? ;D I think it's a bit high for an older gun, but if that's what you wanted then you did OK. Most of the new ones are going for $525 - $550, if you can find them. So from that standpoint you have one in hand. That's always a good thing.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
I actually like the older pre-safety models better and in general older guns of the same model are made better than new( unfortunately :p). I got a 1977 44 mag and love it, I'd love a 357 mag., but can't find a decent older one in good shape for a decent price. But I'll keep looking. $500 for a good older 357 seems like the going rate in upstate NY.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
yar said:
Just picked up an 1894 357 pre saftey for 500.00 in real nice shape. Was this a fair price?
I think you did well; I also like the pre-safety 1894s. I have one from '82 whihch I bought used several years ago that is my every day rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
All of you need to jump on the Team 1894 train ... it might be just a rumor but I heard it will make your target groups smaller ... ::) 8).

Oh ... and we need need to see pictures if possible ;).

bjm

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look at the auction sites and you will see they bring a premium. You did about right for what the pre safeties are bringing right now. I wanted a pre safety model, but found a used one with the crossbolt safety this past week and bought it at my local gunshop for $400 out the door. Mine is circa 1997, ballard, and has no wear inside the action, with minor marks on the underside of the buttstock. I felt like I did good on the pricing with mine. It appears someone put it up and never used it. I have wanted one for a while, but you all know how hard it is to find a used one at a fair price, especially with current demand. Actually, I am glad I got this one with the safety, as I have small children and want to step them up to this after they can handle the Mountie. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I paid $500 plus shipping for my pre-safety 1894c in .357 last month. That seems to be about average. I looked for about 4 months till I found one I could afford.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yar said:
You're right on about where the price falls, as far as I can tell and if it's in nice shape, you did well, indeed :). Here's my track on the 1894C.

Marlin 1894C Rifle in .357 Magnum,.38 Special, Plus P, 18 in Bbl, .38 Special, Plus P . Bluebook of Gun Values (31st Edition) indicates between $365 in 95% condition and $550 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 92 recorded prices for this model gun from $325 to $705 over a period of 5 Yrs 10 Mos ending February 2, 2011. The average price as of that date was $495. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $687.72.

You can see the Average Price Trendline is at about $530 as of this month. A better than average gun would normally command a higher than average price. My track makes no distinction for the presence or absence of a lock. I think the pre-lock, side-tapped receivers are more sought after. The price trend seems to keeping pace with inflation, too. That surprises me a bit because it's always seemed to me the 1894 in .357 was a rarer bird than some of the other calibers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
5 wire

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm impressed. I have been a bit of a nerd about researching the market and keeping track of values based on sales vs values based on asking prices. I am always amazed by how prices go up and down and how some guns just seem to suddenly come out of the woodworks and go up for sale.

Oh- I think $500 for that 1894 is a good deal if its a good working gun in good shape. I really like my 1894...

M

·
Registered
366 Posts
I guess the $200 I paid for an 1894c w/crossbolt about five years ago was a good deal!
It had less than ten boxes of ammo down the tube and my friend got tired of it and sold
it to me. It is good to have friends that tire of toys easily and generously send them my
way.
FM
PS It has been claimed by my wife and now I clean it and load for it. If I'm a good boy,
she lets me shoot it once in a while.

·
Banned
27 Posts
This morning I picked up a marlin 357 presafety (still had marlin sticker behind bbl band) in new condition for 373 otd. Deals are still out there! hth greg ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts