Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand, correctly or incorrectly, that there may be some limitations on the kinds of .38 Special ammunition that can be shot in the 1894C. Is this correct? If so, what are the limitations? Thanks, Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Only thing I have heard about were the possiblility of creating a lead ring in the throat if you did not clean well and after a lot of 38 use. Might do a search on the forum see if anyone had loading problems. Vaguely in the back of my mind but not sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dennis,

Welcome to the forum.

The Marlin owner's manual describes how to maintain the rifle after shooting .38's. Basically it's the same as caring for a .357 revolver. Clean it after use. A lead or powder ring from firing the shorter .38's without cleaning may make it difficult to close the bolt on the longer .357 case.

Due to the wide variations in ammunition, there are some cartridges which may fail to feed, for example, .38 wadcutters. They are too short to feed dependably. They can be used by opening the bolt and inserting them into the chamber manually (single shot).

You may discover that the .357 in an 1894 has a low recoil and is pleasant to shoot. It'll send a 158 grain slug whistling downrange.

Jim H

·
Registered
688 Posts
What you may be thinking of is the COL limitations imposed by the action. I will, from my own personal experience, suggest that you NEVER try feeding .38 Special wadcutters from the magazine! I don't have any problems with the cheap UMC RNs (which have a small flat on the nose) in my gun, but some folks do.

Does this help or have I misunderstood the question?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hobbie is there any problem with wad cutters if you use the 357 or is it just the 38's? Randy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot a lot of .38 Specials in my 1894C. The key is to buy 38 ammo that dosen't have a "shoulder" or "rim" around the lower part of the bullet just above the case mouth. This shoulder hangs up on the chamber mouth when feeding. Standard 158 gr. RNL from Remington and Winchester don't have this shoulder and feed flawlessly. It took a while but I also found reloading bullet that have no rim. Incidently the Remington and Winchester 158 gr. RNL factory stuff is very accurate in my gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts