Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the rear barrel band screw was not seated flush and discovered it was loose, I lightly snuged it up so the head sat flush with the band. I went to st the rifle down and I heard something drop, I picked it up and realized the screw (is actually mire like a pin since it's only threaded under the head) broke in two. I proceeded to remove the remaing half in the band and it appears that it snapped in half.
I know I didn't tighten it up very tight I simply snugged it down so the head sat flush with the band.
Are these screws that brittle?
Where can I get a replacement?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Any tricks on replacing with a new screw? I just tried to replace a sheared screw on one of my 336s with a new one. I expected it to be a quick, simple operation. Instead, I spent at least 20 minutes and never got the screw channel aligned properly. I now have a buggered new screw and probably a stripped thread in the band.

I just ordered 2 more new screws and a new band.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks, T.S.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Any tricks on replacing with a new screw? I just tried to replace a sheared screw on one of my 336s with a new one. I expected it to be a quick, simple operation. Instead, I spent at least 20 minutes and never got the screw channel aligned properly. I now have a buggered new screw and probably a stripped thread in the band.

I just ordered 2 more new screws and a new band.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks, T.S.
Note that guys here report that there are early, skinny, ones and later, larger ones, for 1894s, at least. Presumably, Marlin discovered guys were breaking these and changed the design. If you order replacement screws from any of the usual sources, you'll get the later larger versions. Unfortunately these don't fit the early bands, so if you break an early screw, you need both screw AND band. To make the larger one fit, the notch in the barrel will need a little filing to widen and deepen it. Early screws are NOT available. I suppose a guy with a lathe could turn one to fit, but then it'd still be the weak version. Check your parts before attempting installing, folks.

I believe that the barrel notch was cut at the same time the band was fit, changing bands may mean that notches don't align, more filing with needle files. Also, the band may only fit one way due to the above, make SURE it goes on the same direction it came off.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Thank you. - T.S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts