Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone switched out their barrel, factory barrel for factory barrel? Same caliber, different length.

What is involved?

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
180 Posts
I haven't switch same caliber barrel in longer length but, I switched one from 44 Mag to 45 Colt. In general as long as the forearm length and barrel types are the same (round or octagon) and the dove tails are cut in the same places its a direct swap.

In your case a longer barrel probably has a longer mag tube, and so the dove tail for the tube will be different.

If i had to guess, I'd say you'd need the longer tube to go with the longer barrel or the dove tail will need to be cut for the shorter barrel.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You will need, minimum:
A set of properly fitted screwdrivers
Action wrench that fits
Barrel vise and an immovable object to anchor it
Rosin for the vise blocks
Set of headspace gauges for the caliber

If you're not lucky, you'll need a chamber reamer if short or a lathe AND a chamber reamer if long to set the barrel back one turn. Marlin timed the barrel threads pretty well, for the most part, but there's always an exception out there and you may have one.

The basics will run you $300-400 if new, I use a 20 ton press to hold the barrel vise and provide a little extra holding power, that's an extra couple of hundred. If you're well-tooled, you can make most of what's required. But you probably would be doing it if you were instead of asking here...

I prefer to change out the whole front section, barrel, magazine tube, forearm and all the hardware instead of cutting and fitting bits and pieces of the original. The gun can be easily returned to its original condition that way. Original CT Marlins are going to go the way of pre-shutdown Winchesters, the process has already started. So think twice about hacking on an original.

Tooling up to do this is probably not a really good return on the money spent just to do a onesie. Screw it up and you buy a new gun.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Jon,

Stan covered it all in great detail...............Bottom line is, If you have all the correct parts, its pretty easy, but you have to make provisions to get one barrel off, and the other on. That means barrel blocks, rosin, and a receiver wrench.......You can make those items pretty easily too.....After that, you need to re-set the headspace, so you need chamber gages.

If you have all the parts, find a good gunsmith with a real working shop..........he shouldn't charge too muck to do the work.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I downsized a few years back but have everything I need...except the headspace gauges.

If I don't do it, my gunsmith needs headspace gauges too. ;D

I was wondering, because the Marlin barrel I acquired (16") has all dovetails cut, is threaded, tapped for the front sight, etc.

Jon

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
planeflyer21 said:
I downsized a few years back but have everything I need...except the headspace gauges.

If I don't do it, my gunsmith needs headspace gauges too. ;D

I was wondering, because the Marlin barrel I acquired (16") has all dovetails cut, is threaded, tapped for the front sight, etc.

Jon
Jon,

It's possible to headspace off a piece of NEW brass, if you know what your doing. The Brass is so much softer than the chamber gages, reading "feel" becomes very important..........a good 'smith can do it, and do it reliably.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts