Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a regular 1894 could take a pistol grip stock like the new 1894SBL. I bought the original because I prefer the blue bbl to the stainless. I hope to put the same peep sights, large loop and a laminate brown pistol grip stock instead of the grey if anyone knows where I can find the parts I would really appreciate it, since internet connections are pretty bad on deploymeent.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I asked this same question some time ago and the short answer is "No". If you could find a pistol gripped stock from a 41 mag gun and then get 1894c parts from another gun, then get a gunsmith involved etc. etc....you get the idea. Other than the new stainless steel 1894c's coming out this fall, Marlin always intended that the 1894c in 357 mag be a straight gripped configuration carbine. I am with you though, I would gladly trade/sell my straight gripped 1894c's for a PG model 1894c.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
+1 with my arthritic right wrist it is more comfortable for me to hold the PG then the strait. My 1895sbl feels great and I could shoot it all day with the PG

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I just got an 1894PG from Gunbroker. Not a lot of people bid on it because it wasn't listed in the Marlin 1894 section, the guy had it listed as a ".44 guage" instead of .44 caliber. I think they were only made for one or two years.

I had an 1894FG a few years ago, finding .41 Mag. ammo was too hard so I sold it. I really like how the pistol grip feels, I wish they had made more of them.

I'm going to pull the stock and see if it's the same as a 336, I compared trigger plates, they are completely different.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Gentlemen, Stocks are said to interchange on Marlins .22 through the big bores. I have not needed to try it. The Internal works on the trigger plates will differ. A good smith (way past a parts changer in talent) could build up the rear of the trigger plate externally and curve the lever. If you wanted to sell, it is unlikely you could ever recover your costs. Good day, Jack

·
Premium Member
10,949 Posts
Doc Fillem said:
I just got an 1894PG from Gunbroker. Not a lot of people bid on it because it wasn't listed in the Marlin 1894 section, the guy had it listed as a ".44 guage" instead of .44 caliber. I think they were only made for one or two years.

I had an 1894FG a few years ago, finding .41 Mag. ammo was too hard so I sold it. I really like how the pistol grip feels, I wish they had made more of them.

I'm going to pull the stock and see if it's the same as a 336, I compared trigger plates, they are completely different.
Doc,

It's a little ironic, but the forging for the 1894 Trigger Guard Plate is configured to make a PG part.........But Marlin only made the 1894FG with a PG stock...............Finding a blue PG '94 TGP is impossible........they didn't exist as replacement parts in gun service, either..........'94 PG levers are also impossible to find too.......no replacements were available for those either.

Tom

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I wish there was a kit to make a pistol grip '94, it would be popular, I bet.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Putting a PG stock on one would give you an idea how much metal has to be added to the triggerplate to make it curved. Bending a lever should not be that bad of a job, I've done it many times the other way around.

When I do it, I cut the curved portion off the trigger plate and it's only 1/2 tall at one end and around an 1 1/2 long. So making that piece, fitting it, then welding it to a straight trigger plate should be easily done, making it a little full to machine and polish back to a PG stock would make it almost undetectable if done right. Bending the lever is not hard going PG to straight, so going the other way should not be that hard.

If I liked em curved, I would have done it long ago.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Doc Fillem said:

Jealous! Please tell us how it shoots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts