Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second question for the masses....

What is your favorite bullet for the .45 colt cowboy limited?

Primarily a cast hunting bullet 250 grains and above with or without GC?

Also what is your favorite plinking/small game bullet?

I am getting ready to move forward with full load development now that the weather has broken and was looking for suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
For Cowboy Action Shooting I use a 200 grain cast bullet with 5.5 grains Trail Boss or 5 grains of Unique. I have loaded up to 9 grains of Unique for Cowboy Long Range with good results.

Here is some good info on reloading the 45 Colt: Reloading the .45 Colt Page

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Lee255RF cast from COWW +2% Sn fall from the mold at .453. Load with unique and have fun.. I shoot this more than any other. I have taken WTs, Axis, a bobcat and a turkey with that boolit.

Papalote

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
In general what size do the Marlins like .453 or .454????

·
Registered
348 Posts
They are excellent rifles---only thing is the Marlin design & 45 colt straight wall cartridge can cause some annoying gas blowback that can hit ya in face---make shure ya wearing safety glasses-----yours might not just make shure----lots o suggestions bout how to stop blowback---fcd --heavier powder charge -etc.---only thing that worked in mine is 250 gr or heavier bullet------452 diam cast bullets (in mine) hold accuracy good out to 100 yds ---at 200 yds had to go to 454 diam to eliminate too often fliers-----have went down to as light as 185 gr bullet for heck of it loads--(use em in my Ruger Vaqueros) they did all right other than blowback being a nuisance-----once again if ya gonna try out lighter loads wear safety glasses at least til ya find out your rifles condition about blowback!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee255RF cast from COWW +2% Sn fall from the mold at .453. Load with unique and have fun.. I shoot this more than any other. I have taken WTs, Axis, a bobcat and a turkey with that boolit.

Papalote
Sounds good. Thank you

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are excellent rifles---only thing is the Marlin design & 45 colt straight wall cartridge can cause some annoying gas blowback that can hit ya in face---make shure ya wearing safety glasses-----yours might not just make shure----lots o suggestions bout how to stop blowback---fcd --heavier powder charge -etc.---only thing that worked in mine is 250 gr or heavier bullet------452 diam cast bullets (in mine) hold accuracy good out to 100 yds ---at 200 yds had to go to 454 diam to eliminate too often fliers-----have went down to as light as 185 gr bullet for heck of it loads--(use em in my Ruger Vaqueros) they did all right other than blowback being a nuisance-----once again if ya gonna try out lighter loads wear safety glasses at least til ya find out your rifles condition about blowback!!
Good tips thank you. I have shot some 300's, and 280's so far with decent results. No blowback with the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Dardas 250 grain bullets sized to .454. Works for my rifle.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
RCBS 45-270-SSA ahead of 22 grains of H4227 for 1446 fps groups .70 inch ay 50 yards and less than 1.5 inch at 100 yards. Does everything I need it to do inside that range. Same bullet using Unique in the 45 Colt revolver works great also. For more speed and energy I use 290-300 grain gas checked or jacketed designs ahead of H110 which performs well in my guns

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RCBS 45-270-SSA ahead of 22 grains of H4227 for 1446 fps groups .70 inch ay 50 yards and less than 1.5 inch at 100 yards. Does everything I need it to do inside that range. Same bullet using Unique in the 45 Colt revolver works great also. For more speed and energy I use 290-300 grain gas checked or jacketed designs ahead of H110 which performs well in my guns
I too love this bullet. I was hoping someone was getting these to shoot. I use them in my Blackhawk. Have you tried AA#9 or Power Pistol with this bullet? They are top notch performers in the 7.5 inch Blackhawk.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Have you tried AA#9 or Power Pistol with this bullet? They are top notch performers in the 7.5 inch Blackhawk.
I haven't tried either of those powders but heard a lot of good things about them, especially Power Pistol. My revolver is the New Vaquero and although Brian Pierce claims it can take pressures higher (up to 20,000 psi) than the standard SAA guns it can't be loaded to Blackhawk pressures. That's alright with me because as small and light as this gun is, running a 270 grain bullet at 900-950- fps is about all the recoil I want to handle. If I'm not careful the trigger guard will bite my middle finger pretty hard.

Funny thing about my mold.....everyone seems to claim their mold drops at about 280 grains but using wheel weights with some tin added, mine drops spot on at .454 diameter and 270-273 grains.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't tried either of those powders but heard a lot of good things about them, especially Power Pistol. My revolver is the New Vaquero and although Brian Pierce claims it can take pressures higher (up to 20,000 psi) than the standard SAA guns it can't be loaded to Blackhawk pressures. That's alright with me because as small and light as this gun is, running a 270 grain bullet at 900-950- fps is about all the recoil I want to handle. If I'm not careful the trigger guard will bite my middle finger pretty hard.

Funny thing about my mold.....everyone seems to claim their mold drops at about 280 grains but using wheel weights with some tin added, mine drops spot on at .454 diameter and 270-273 grains.
I like those new Vaqueros. He is right no heavy hitters on that frame. Still 900 fps with those bullets will do what needs to be done, and well. And yes even in my full size frame, 1100 fps with the same bullet is all I care for. I get cut by

the action on the inside of my right thumb from the frame if I am not careful. Even more than enough for what I need it for. My mold drops them lubed at 280-286 gr. (1# linotype to 4# dental lead).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts