Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
read an ad in the thrifty nickel tonight about a marlin 1894 .44mag. asking $200.00. thats all it says about it. i assume at that price that its not like new condition, but was just wondering how bad it could be and still be a good deal. i know date of manufacture plays a part but i dont know it. i'll call about it tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone could give me some rough estimates.

thanks, john

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That's not a bad price. When you open the bolt, check to see if the ejector & extractor are still present. Also check the stock for cracks near the tang. A look down the barrel for irregularities like mud dauber wasps and you should be in biz.

THEN, you could always say something to the effect the ATM would only give you 175! :wink: Good luck! SW

·
Registered
330 Posts
txpilot,
I'd be grabbing it at that price. I'm on the hunt for one for a 44-40 barrel I've got. Provided it's operational, I'm not at all fussed by appearances, finish is ez for me.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
At that price, it's worth a look, looking is free. I'd bet it's a closet queen, somebody who doesn't shoot much and can't appreciate it, to them it's just an old gun. Who knows, it might be in great shape! I got my 336C that way, pawn shop thought it was some old obsolete caliber that nobody wanted, because it wasn't a 30-30. So for $225.00, I got a like-new 336 in 35 Remington that is the queen of my Marlin family. Good luck!

Papajohn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts