Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm brand new here. I inherited 3 Marlins from my uncle. Planning on keeping them at this point, but was hoping to get more info on this particular one. I was told this is the best place! From what I can tell, it is a 1971 manufacture date. I wanted to know if the gold trigger or brass saddle ring are associated with a certain time period or version? Also, any idea what the value might be?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

Bicycle part Publication Automotive tire Wood Tread

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
M-94 .357 pre lock micro groove
255 Posts
That 44 magnum is about worthless. I’ll pm you my FFL address just send it to me and I’ll dispose of it. No really that’s a beauty. Marlin only planned on putting gold triggers on the 70’s guns I believe. I got lucky and my 1980 .357 is a gold trigger. That looks like a lightly used specimen. Congratulations!!

·
Super Moderator
36,355 Posts
Very nice Texan in 44 mag you inherited! Be proud of any Marlins you received! As for value in your hands it's worth more because it came from family. To sell depends on your location, but I will put a price of $800-900 on it.
Both of my 1894 44 mags or early 70's with straight stock, no saddle ring on side, gold triggers on both.
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I have a 1957 336, a 1967 .444, and a 1980 1894 all with gold triggers, so it doesn't tell you much. They did make some rifles with saddle rings but I'm not sure of the years. What are the first 2 digits of your serial number?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’d love to see what else you inherited! This is a great rifle, and your uncle appears to have taken great care of it. Definitely a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
Your saddle ring carbine is a sought after collectors' item. Love it, keep it clean and oiled. Do not part with it, there is no dollar value that approximates its worth. Nothing that nice will ever be made again.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
A Cowboy, (straight stock), Saddle ring and 44 mag. What else is there? Thanks for the pics and Welcome.
First two digits of t he Ser. # and we ill tell you when it was made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Thank you for all the replies. What a great community! Yes, I feel lucky to have these. The 1894 in 44 mag has a serial number starting with 71. He also gave me an 1895G which is ported and has a serial starting in 0101 and a 1894 in 357 with a serial starting in 1918. I'm pretty excited about these....they are my first levers.
Writing implement Office supplies Pen Office equipment Wood

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Line

Brown Wood Natural material Wood stain Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That 44 magnum is about worthless. I’ll pm you my FFL address just send it to me and I’ll dispose of it. No really that’s a beauty. Marlin only planned on putting gold triggers on the 70’s guns I believe. I got lucky and my 1980 .357 is a gold trigger. That looks like a lightly used specimen. Congratulations!!
Ha! Thanks Chris!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’d love to see what else you inherited! This is a great rifle, and your uncle appears to have taken great care of it. Sorry about your loss.

Thank you! I also received an 1895g and a 1894 in 357

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you! I also received an 1895g and a 1894 in 357
Well it’s confirmed, your uncle is man who appreciated fine firearms!! As a man who loves Marlins across the board, I must say the 1894’s are my favorites. Others will disagree with me but the .357 variant is the best of class in my opinion! Enjoy those rifles, don’t sell if possible, if you have to sell they have some real monetary value but you may regret it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had a rifle just like yours I paid 135.00 out the door around 1972 I think. I sold it and regretted it for years it cost me 400.00 to replace it twenty years ago. Also I think the newer stocks aren't near has nicely cut has the older ones.
I can tell you they kill deer very well inside 125 yards or a little more. Enjoy It!!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Are there any letters before the 71 in the serial number of your 1894? Is the SN located on the tang behind the hammer or on the bottom tang under the lever?

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
Not sure if it was the same for 1894's but Saddle Ring Texan 336's were available 1965 through 1971 or 72.
Model 1894 production was resumed in 1969 at North Haven after a 30+ year lull. Early in the Depression, Marlin quit making the 1894 as demand for pistol caliber carbines had dropped off. The saddle ring models were only made for a few years. The OP's 1971 production rifle is a rare gem.

The story I read said that the Engineers wanted to make the 1894 a round bolt like the 336, but Frank Kenna nixed that idea. He wanted the new re-issued 1894's to have the old fashioned flat bolt look. .357 Magnum chambering was first introduced 1979 model year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts