Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help from some fellow hog hunters. I'm trying to come up with a load for solid bullets to take down a decent size swine,I need a good starting point or possibly some of your favorite recipes.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I don't use cast bullets for hunting but my favorite load is 23.5 grs of H110 under a 240 gr Hornady XTP JFN. There aren't many critters on the east side of the Mississippi that won't drop when hit in the right spot with one of these, with in reasonable range of coarse. I've also loaded 300 XTPs with 18.5 grs of H110 but haven't hunted with them. Their a bit on the slow side compared to the 240s.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cast bullets are ideal for hunting where penetration is needed. Cast of proper hardness, they penetrate like an FMJ, but pick one with a good meplat (flat point) and it's as deadly as a hollow point. For hogs I'd use (& recommend) these:

Rather than that "soft alloy, I'd go with straight WWs + 2% tin, which would be hard enough to penetrate well, but not so hard as to be brittle. (I load same bullet in 444 Marlin, so they'll handle any 44Mag load.)

I load these in 44Mag with 17.5grs AA#9.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My usual load is 24.0 gr. of H110/296 under a 240 gr. bullet, usually a Nosler HP. I've used XTPs on deer, with that load out of a carbine they are a bit fragile and basically grenade when they hit. They're fine at handgun velocities, though. I've also used the Remington softpoints, I'd recommend those for pig-hunting where you need something that will stay together for deeper penetration.

Some data lists will go up to 25 gr. of H110 out of a carbine, I'd work up to that one really slowly and with a chronograph. H110/296 tends to get pressure excursions at both ends of the load spectrum, has a narrow pressure range. The above load is what they usually have as a max load in most data lists. It does the job on deer, anyway.

Let us know what works for you.

Stan S.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
FWIW, I have used factory loaded 240gn sjsp with excellent results. I usually get the "cheap" stuff like Remington green box, Winchester white box and Federal blue box with a box or two of Magtech along the way. I have never used any of my hand loads, I save those for my pistols. Those Factory loads would be a good reference point, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shot many hogs with Nosler 240 gr. solid point and most have dropped on the spot. None have been lost and the bullet usually penetrates completley throgh the hog. Use H110 powder. On one hunt two hogs dropped to one bullet. I am taken back with how effective the 44 mag. round is. John

·
Registered
661 Posts
I use a Lyman 429244 which is a 265g GCSWC when cast from WW.

It anchored a hog for me from @ 20 yards. Damn bullet didn't even know it went through the hog on its way to China. Shot it out of a 6.5" S&W 29-2.

Not the hottest load, but in the 1894 with the extra barrel and no cylinder gap to rob performance, these will go 1700+ fps.

22g W296/H110 and a WLP gets 'er done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts