Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got an 1894 44 mag from 1977 that doesn't feed 44 specials, and i have been told that the older guns that are only marked in one caliber will not cycle with specials. first off does anyone know this to be true? if this is true can i put one of the newer 44mag/44spec followers in to make it function with specials? thanks

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Mine is a '77 also and it flat refuses to cycle any 44 Special rounds that I've ever tried to cycle thrue it.
I haven't looked into changing anything in the riffle, I just load magnum cases up light for plinking loads and use the Specials in my revolver.

G

·
Semi-wad cutter bullets also may impede the cycling. If you reload and are looking for just a mild load at 44 special velocities then try some IMR Trail Boss in the .44 mag shells. This powder is for filling up large pistol cases such as the .44 mag and .45 LC but still giving mild velocities. If your 1894 won't feed the specials then chances are that it's always going to be that way.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Depending on what your symptoms are, this thread may be of some help.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,90497.0.html

I had the lever lock when throwing it forward. No rounds advanced onto the carrier, but my Spl rounds locked the carrier down and the lever forward. Magnums offered no problems, but the Spl rounds did.

Check it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is a 1978 and is also marked ".44 Rem Magnum" on the barrel. It eats .44 Spls like popcorn. I suggest following Snapping Twig's thread regarding a problem similar to yours. Lots of good info there.
Jim H

1 - 5 of 5 Posts