Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I expect to pay for a mid eighties 1894 .44 mag carbine in generally good mechanical shape( safety does not work) good metal finish. Dinged up but not gouged stock .

·
Registered
168 Posts
Given its condition as described $450–$600 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I'm surprised at the difficulties reported here. Those JMs out there are all there are and the .44 magnum is an excellent rifle.

There is no safety on the rifle, just a half-cock hammer position where the trigger does not function.

My track on model is intended to discern the range and trend of actual selling prices from completed auctions, a few local sales, and some fulfilled classifieds.

Marlin 1894 Rifle in .44 Mag
Blue Book of Gun Values (41st Edition) indicates between $500 in 95% condition and $625 in 100% condition for this rifle. I have 403 recorded prices for this model gun from $398 to $3500 over a period of 5 Yrs 7 Mos ending September 7, 2021. The average price as of that date was $926. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $835. The last 267 prices I have for this model since 1/1/2020 range from $460 to $3500 averaging $1043.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Someone was asking ~$1150 for the mid/late 70s, in what I'd call good condition, that I saw at the show I went to today. I'm pretty sure they're not going to get that though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
...a little chart of the data I have for the last 267 prices recorded. I'd say we're in a lull right now but I think we'll see another jump as more aficionados come on the scene and Demand increases. Buy now if you find something acceptable. Chances are it will appreciate just out of rarity. Wait to sell if you can.
Rectangle Product Slope Plot Font

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I don't see Marlin model 1894 advertised to often where I live (North Central PA) but when I do, the 44 mag usually goes between $800 and $950 depending on the condition.

I read the ads in a rural PA website where I bought and sold locally for years. The prices are generally lower than Gun Broker.

Mike T.

·
Registered
269 Posts
...a little chart of the data I have for the last 267 prices recorded. I'd say we're in a lull right now but I think we'll see another jump as more aficionados come on the scene and Demand increases. Buy now if you find something acceptable. Chances are it will appreciate just out of rarity. Wait to sell if you can.
View attachment 861310
The averaging and aggregation by month of data collection may tend to conceal information and create misleading trends. Can you graph each instance in date order on the X axis and selling price on the Y axis? Do you have transaction dates, or just the date that you entered them?

·
Registered
168 Posts
The averaging and aggregation by month of data collection may tend to conceal information and create misleading trends. Can you graph each instance in date order on the X axis and selling price on the Y axis? Do you have transaction dates, or just the date that you entered them?
I collect Item number by source, date, sold price, and item description. No photos. Date by date representation yields an unwieldy graph. I mostly vary between monthly and quarterly aggregation. The months in indicated in the graph are accurate and the whole thing meets my needs in identifying trends without having to fully sample all the time or even regularly. That would drive me nuts. For the chart, I used 267 sales going back to January 1, 2020 with less than a years worth of data for 2021.

I have price data for 403 sales back to February 2016. I developed a way to harvest gangs of sales at once a couple years ago so my samples got bigger and cover about 90 days each time, so that's about it for trend identification opportunities.

On the other hand, if I want to look more closely at the data, I can. I can also assure you that the gaps in my data collection potentially could be far more misleading than the aggregation as posted.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I collect Item number by source, date, sold price, and item description. No photos. Date by date representation yields an unwieldy graph. I mostly vary between monthly and quarterly aggregation. The months in indicated in the graph are accurate and the whole thing meets my needs in identifying trends without having to fully sample all the time or even regularly. That would drive me nuts. For the chart, I used 267 sales going back to January 1, 2020 with less than a years worth of data for 2021.

I have price data for 403 sales back to February 2016. I developed a way to harvest gangs of sales at once a couple years ago so my samples got bigger and cover about 90 days each time, so that's about it for trend identification opportunities.

On the other hand, if I want to look more closely at the data, I can. I can also assure you that the gaps in my data collection potentially could be far more misleading than the aggregation as posted.
I may have misunderstood your earlier comment about the gaps being a result of lack of effort. I assumed that you collected data for those months and just lumped it into the month that you collected the data. Now it sounds like you just didn’t collect the data in some months. Either way, as long as it suits your needs. Neat little project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What can I expect to pay for a mid eighties 1894 .44 mag carbine in generally good mechanical shape( safety does not work) good metal finish. Dinged up but not gouged stock .
I bought mine from my cousina couple of years ago for $250 and is a 1978 model year, he and I have shot this rifle a lot over the years and I had been trying to buy it for several years and out of the blue he sold it to me. Good luck on finding one and you should be able to find one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts