Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was at a local gun shop over the weekend and stumbled across the famed Ruger .44 Carbine. I asked to see it and could tell it was definitely used but nothing terrible. I asked what his best price was (listed @ $750 IIRC) and told him I'd recently acquired a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. He told me to just do myself a favor and bring it in on trade because that Marlin can't shoot half as good as the Ruger. My 1894 is at the gunsmith getting a feeding issue worked out so I obviously didn't trade him, and I can't bare to part with my lever gun (even though I've only shot it twice); but what's your experience between the Ruger Carbine and the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag?

I've got a box of Winchester white box 240gr in the basement and 2 boxes of the Hornady 245gr leverrevolutions as well. Will I have any problems getting accuracy out of the 1894 with a good scope? I was told I wouldn't get a 5" group with the Marlin and was wasting my time...

What's your opinion?

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
What's your opinion?
Consider the source of this sage information and act accordingly. Surely the LGS wouldn't be trying to sweeten his end by getting a Marlin in trade and padding his pocket as well?

This "famed" Ruger carbine, is it an auto loader, lever action, or bolt? Not that that is really important, but none of them are inherently more accurate than the Marlin with the possible exception of the bolt action. I've shot the Ruger auto loader, the mod. 96, and the Marlin 1894, the difference in accuracy was negligible.

That is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Owner an auto loader and the lever. Lever did well with jacketed ammo but hated lead. Neither was any more accurate than my Marlin.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
MOB hit the nail on the head. The dealer wanted to deal- Caveat Emptor. They both are good rifles capable of doing what they were made for.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sounds like a pile of horse hockey to me, too. We have two 1894s in 44 mag, a 70s and a 1990 vintage gun and both now wear peep sights. From a rest at 50 yards, on a good day, both do about an inch to inch and a fourth for me with any 240 grain factory ammo. Won't lie to you and say that kind of accuracy comes easy. They are lightweight little carbines and you have to learn to shoot these little guns, but the accuracy is there. We don't shoot them at 100 yards because we have other guns for that. If I could't get better than 5" at 100 yards with a scope, though, I'd immediately assume the gun needed some kind of work. Have never shot the Ruger so I have no idea how this compares.

Here's a 3 shot group at 50 yards, shot from a rest with Winchester white box 240s, back when our 1990 vintage 1894 was wearing a 2x scout scope.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Check Gun Broker, there are 12 listed at this time. Look at the ones with bids and this will give you an idea what they will sell for. WW

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Years ago I had a Ruger, it wouldn't stay in a bucket at 100 yards with factory ammo. Sold it, bought a Marlin I still have. The Marlin shoots smaller 10-shot groups at 100 than the Ruger would do for five shots at 50. Three shot groups mean absolutely nothing.

There are no lucky ten-shot groups. Four inch, 10-shot groups at 100 yards with iron sights represent a useful reality. The group below fired with iron sights at 100 yards would kill deer just fine, even with the flier, which I will attribute to pilot error.

2014-08-15_16-21-33_37.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I love my Rugers. My 10-22, my #1, my Single Six, my MK II and my P-89, but you aint gettin my Marlin. I did have a Mini-14 once upon a time and it wouldn't hardly stay on a pie plate at 100 yds. Keep the lever gun, these guys here will help you if it won't shoot right. But my guess is it will be fine when you get it back.

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
I have had a Ruger .44 carbine for a long time, and it is dependable and, with in reasonable range, accurate. I just got my first 1894, not a .44 magnum though, this year, and it is just as accurate as my Ruger, and after a little tweaking due to the "jam", every bit as reliable. I won't be trading either of them any time soon.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have issues with the LGS that thinks you're stupid and then tries to rip you off. Smile politely and don't enter his shop unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
I had an 1894 cut to 16.5 inches and re finished after a year lost in the brush...long story. I let the step son have it when I bought a 24 inch Cowboy Rifle in 44. He traded the shortie for a 264 Winchester Magnum bolt gun...owner claimed it was under legal length but he was a reserve deputy and could take care of problem. When I went to the shop the next day, the clerk/owner said he hadn't seen a used 1894 in years. Lying *&^%$ got into trouble with IRS and ATF shortly afterwards.
Keep the 1894.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Had a Ruger 44 Semi 99 Deerfield (the mini 14 looking one), and an 1894 at the same time for few years hunted both. Still have the 1894. Both were equally accurate as I recall. The Deerfield with a 1x5 Leupold, didn't balance well for stalking around in thick stuff, and if wet was a slippery devil, always trying to roll around in the hands, stock kinda thick, not slim and easy carry like a 1894..

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had 2 Ruger 44 carbines before and mine shot 3 to 5 inch groups not scoped at 50 yards. I still have a 1894 in 44 mag. That I can shoot 2 to 3 inches groups with out a scope at 50 yards. Plus the Ruger cycled with full power loads most of the time. Marlin 1894 I could shoot any 44 mag. Or 44 special copper or lead through it. Ruger I couldn't shoot lead at all. Something to thing about. Just my opinion too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a Ruger .44 auto, the stock had been shortened and it was by a long shot the worst kicking rifle I've ever owned, and I've owned 45-70s. I can't speak for the accuracy as I couldn't get the nerve to test it. In fact I traded it for the Marlin and my Marlin is EXTREMELY accurate at 50 yards. Open sights. It's not a target gun.

I'm not a hunter, and if I were, I'd probably go to something a little more powerful at longer range. But don't let anyone sell the Marlin short in the accuracy department.

The Ruger is a good rifle. It was the rifle used by the Howard Johnson serial shooter back in 1972 or so in New Orleans, which was a good rifle used for a bad purpose.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
I'm a 44 fan. I've owned a lot of them. Here is what I know. Each of them has to find a particular ammo they like and there is less interchanging of bullets than say a 30-30. Another words, if you find a pill that is accurate, stick with it!

Now, to address Ruger -VS- Marlin. From the money wasted finding good shooters, its like the pot calling the kettle black. Both of them produce extremely superior and inferior products on a given day. I was just consulting with Gaterskiner on my wants for a Rossi, I'm thinking they only produce good guns two days a week. I'm trying to find one built on wednesday morning around 10:30 since its coming from Brazil.

I have a stockpile of 44's of different brands that I use to find out which gun likes what. Its been a Hell of insanity, but for some unknown reason, I have a thing for 44.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I've owned two of the Ruger semi-auto carbines and will say my Marlin 44 mag is hands down more accurate than the Rugers EVER where using factory rounds or handloads. :top:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts