Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help from the experts here in MO. Went to my favorite LGS and the guys there know I look for Marlins so they showed me an 1894 carbine microgroove 357 magnum. It has gold trigger, 19XXXXXX making it a 1981 birth year. All looks good except they noticed that the chamber looks too big for a .357 so they dropped a 357 round in it and the round went in about an inch inside the chamber! I asked them if they had slugged the rifle, they said not yet. They just got it and was about to put it out on the rack. Not sure what it is so I turn to the experts here. Any comments appreciated. I did not see any sign of rebarreling, no bad screws all seems intact. It's puzzling. Help!!! I want to buy it but need to make sure first.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Need more information. I take it the barrel stamp says .357? And you're saying the chamber is larger and deeper than it ought to be? What about the bore? Is it appropriate for a .357 or larger?

Usual suspects would be .357, .41 mag, 44-40, .44 mag, .45 Colt. All but the first would have larger chambers and larger bores. Longer calipers would be .357 maximum and 38-55, but I'm not sure the 1894 has a long enough action to cycle those.

May need to Cerro Cast the chamber. Let us know. Odd that the caliber isn't stamped on the barrel.

Reactions: me

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Caliber is on barrel. And what's more puzzling is that it has a round bolt and curved stock. I'm thinking maybe an oops from Marlin which makes it more of a collectible. Not sure what else to ask the guys at the shop. I figured I check here first and get more info before I go back.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Caliber is on barrel. And what's more puzzling is that it has a round bolt and curved stock. I'm thinking maybe an oops from Marlin which makes it more of a collectible. Not sure what else to ask the guys at the shop. I figured I check here first and get more info before I go back.
I seriously doubt that.

But something doesn't make sense.

Seems more probable that is an oops from an incompetent Smithy or jackleg.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
A 35 Remington rebarreled with a 357 Mag barrel?

Reactions: joel6180

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 35 Remington rebarreled with a 357 Mag barrel?
That one makes more sense. I am going back tomorrow with a 35 rem round to check. Thanks!

Also, it's my first time to see a round bolt 357 magnum! Now i'm suspicious. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's got a round bolt, it's not a 1894. I'm thinking 375.
I thought so too so i read it again, also thought maximum but it did say magnum.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Round bolt???? You sure it doesnt say .375???? A round bolt would indicate a 336 or 1895 class rifle. Any chance you can get a picture or two?
I'll see if i can get a pic and post it. I'm stumped!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I seriously doubt that.

But something doesn't make sense.

Seems more probable that is an oops from an incompetent Smithy or jackleg.
I'm inclined to agree, but not knowing the history of the rifle really makes one speculate the worst.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Wouldn't be the first 35 Remington with a 357 magnum Barrel put on it, after all the bullet Diameter (usually Cast Boolits) is the same.

·
Registered
567 Posts
OOPS, I missed the info about the round BOLT.

Doesn't sound like an 1894 to me.

I tend to agree that it might lean more towards being a .375 or such in the 336 model.

..........Widder

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
One option missed. It could have originally been a 336, .44 magnum, re barreled with a .357 barrel from an 1894, then re chambered to .44 Bain and Davis - a .44 mag case necked to .357.

Or some other wildcat??

Reactions: 44-40 Willy

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Sounds like a chamber cast is in order before it gets sold and creates a safety poster opportunity.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats right. Id forgotten about that...
I think that's a 336-44.

Thanks for a responses so far. Please keep them coming. I'm on my way with a 35 rem round to see how it fits. Maybe they will let me take a pic. Not sure they will be inclined to but I can ask. Will post what i find here.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm thinking Frankenmarlin :) :) :) at this point.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco
1 - 20 of 33 Posts