Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. I need some advise today. I have a chance to buy a 1894 357 mag made in 1984. This gun is in excellent shape with a few varnish scratches in the stock. Has had less than a box of shells thru it. Blue looks great as does the crown. This is a safety model. The fella wants 550.00 for it or 600.00 with 4 boxes of ammo. Will buy this evening so I need to know if y'all think I can get my money out of it if I wanted to. Need advice quick. Thanks. Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: 1894 357 magnum

from what i understand thats a bit steep, but then again i bought mine for around 500 :(

if you decide to buy and the ammo isnt crap id say chip in for the rounds also

do you know when it was made? if its relatively new (i.e. made at the new plant) then by all means back away from the deal, such as it is.

i've heard some pretty bad things about marlins made at the remington factory that did not function out of the box. could be nasty rumors, who knows. maybe bring some snap caps and function test the rifle?

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Made in 1984. 18 1/2 inch barrell full length mag tube straight stock and no checkering.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

I gave $ 500.00 for mine about 5 or 6 yrs. ago, I'd say get it ,see if you can get it for w/ammo for 600.00 out the door.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Seems a bit pricey to me. But if you really want the gun, I wouldn't let $50 to $100 stop you (if you can afford it). It doesn't sound like a very good deal from an investment standpoint. But if you really want one to shoot, they are somewhat hard to find. I'd offer him less and see what he does.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts

I say go for it ! Very hard to find !! If I had the cash right now Id buy it !!!

·
Registered
287 Posts

Around here that rifle would have been long gone by now, even at $600 and no ammo.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

I've got a (81) pre-saftey with less then 50 rds thru it and recently turned down $550, why I did I have'nt figured out yet. LOL

·
Registered
263 Posts

It is just money. Inflation will eat up that fifty bucks or so in a matter of months ;)

The older ones WILL go up in value. FRN"S WILL go down in value. Simple reallity. If ya want one and it is there, get it. Plenty of folks out there that want one and cannot find it at any price unless they go though an out of state dealer and the extra cash that goes with that transaction

·
Registered
253 Posts

Snag it and dont look back! Its like buying a classic muscle car in mint condition, its well worth it! Paid $550 for mine, brand new and still see used ones going for the same if not more.

·
Premium Member
10,949 Posts

Buy it!............It's a North Haven Marlin.............That alone, makes it worth more than ANY rifle produced in Ilion, N.Y.

Tom

·
Registered
136 Posts

I paid a lot more than that for my
cowboy 20" brl.
There are 2 things (within reason) when you
purchase a gun :used or new.

1. Is the out of pocket money worth it to you
or does your gut say no.
2. And this is the most important. If you look around
after purchase, it's a guarantee you'll find one
less expensive. don't worry on it.don't give it a
second thought.Shoot at enjoy the one you have!

ronny

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well I went ahead and got it. It turned out to be an 1894cs. Don't really know what that means. Anybody?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts

brianscott12 said:
Well I went ahead and got it. It turned out to be an 1894cs. Don't really know what that means. Anybody?
1894 Carbine/with safety ...

Let's see some pictures of that puppy Scott ::) ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

These are the best I can do right now

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sorry bout the comforter. My wifes idea. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Looks good. I've got one that old and have taken several deer with it ( 2 this last season). Make sure she is cleaned and lubed and it will shoot forever. Congrats!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine's a CS as well, and looks exactly like yours, other than it's wearing a 2-7X Nikon. If yours is half as accurate as mine, you'll be super happy. Congrats, I think you made a good investment.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts