Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE.........1894,,,357......I have been looking for one....found a 2009 model...91 serial #....right in the Marlin //Remington transaction.....owner could never tell me if it had a JM stamp....which i am pretty sure it does...maybe...i have not seen it in person,,,just a few pics.....looks very nice and owner said very few rounds thru it,,,,,,,,,really looking for a a 2007 on down ,,,,,should i be cautious of this one,,,,,,he is asking $700 with a Nikon 3x32 AR scope on it.........thanks for any input,,,,,,i am sure it has been talked about before

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Go with your gut, if it don't feel right pass. If it is a jmyou should good...

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
911xxxxx or 912xxxxx are Connecticut made Marlins with a JM stamp. Should be fine, I have several friends with 2009 JM rifles and they're good. 918xxxxx is a Remington/Marlin New York made rifle and will not have a JM stamp.

Some of the early RemMarlins were assembled in New York with genuine Connecticut parts, I've seen them and some are perfect, some not so good. It's up to the buyer to inspect closely, it's on an individual basis. BTW, my two close friends with the 2009 JM rifles report excellent function and accuracy. I own a 2012 rifle made from Connecticut parts, and while function and accuracy are top notch, it had multiple build/cosmetic issues that I had to correct.

Production in North Haven was suspended in Spring of 2010. BATFE authorized New York Remington to use the 91xxxxxx numbers until the very end of 2011.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would probably be a little Leary about this one. Only because he is the owner of the rifle. If he were selling it for someone else I could understand him not being able to answer the JM question. You didn't mention if this was a conversation over the phone, by email in person or on a forum. If the sale was going to be in person then there are no worries. You will see it when you pay for it. However if you are mailing the money. I think Mike gave you the best advice. If you feel something is wrong, it probably is.

Jim

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Marlin made after about 2004 unless I plan modifying it or reselling. JM stamp means nothing to me because Marlin started slowly making crap well before the RemLin change.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Have him send you more detailed pictures. Maybe a short video/facetime of some rounds being cycled through it. $700 is reasonable for the gun with a scope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is owned by a older gentleman,,,no clue what a JM stamp is,,,,tried to explain it to him on the phone and txt,,,,,,,,serial # is 910....he bought it new,,,,just trying to thin out his collection,,,,,if it was a local deal then no problem,,i could inspect it in hand,,,,but we are about 2.5 hrs from each other....I hate to meet and then its not what i thought it should be....I have several pictures of which it looks really good,,,,but a good picture is not like when you are holding it in your own hands......i know a 910 is probably ok...i know they were inspected before they left the factory.....this would be a hand me down rifle to my kids......just cautious of the last year or so of production....some may be perfect,some may not,,,but that may go for all....if it was a later serial number then no problem....i may have to pass on it

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Marlin made after about 2004 unless I plan modifying it or reselling. JM stamp means nothing to me because Marlin started slowly making crap well before the RemLin change.
Really? I’d like to hear more about this, maybe form some of the Marlin employees at the time. My 2008 1894ss is perfect and JM stamped with a later s/n than the ops.

·
Registered
40 Posts
$700 is really not that bad of a price if you can afford it and it’s a solid gun,JM stamp or no.
I have a 94xxx 1894c with JM stamp. Super smooth, super fun, never had a cycling, firing, or accuracy issue. The butt stock did have a slight wiggle that I detected while moving guns around in the safe, so I shimmed the receiver shoulders and ran the rear tang screw in an eighth of a turn tighter and it’s solid again.
I also have a 92xxxx 1894ss that is just as smooth and reliable, but some machining marks and scratched up screw heads are noticeable. Still a beautiful rifle for a picture though and it’s more accurate than I am. But no JM stamp on that one from 2008 makes me think that 91xxx you are looking at will have no JM stamp. But could be a great gun despite that detail.

Have you began negotiating yet? Go straight to $600 and see what he says.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agree with spsix, meet the seller halfway and inspect the rifle. The fact that he's an older guy and original owner lends me to believe that you may have a smoking deal on a sweet rifle at your finger tips.

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
$700 is really not that bad of a price if you can afford it and it’s a solid gun,JM stamp or no.
I have a 94xxx 1894c with JM stamp. Super smooth, super fun, never had a cycling, firing, or accuracy issue. The butt stock did have a slight wiggle that I detected while moving guns around in the safe, so I shimmed the receiver shoulders and ran the rear tang screw in an eighth of a turn tighter and it’s solid again.
I also have a 92xxxx 1894ss that is just as smooth and reliable, but some machining marks and scratched up screw heads are noticeable. Still a beautiful rifle for a picture though and it’s more accurate than I am. But no JM stamp on that one from 2008 makes me think that 91xxx you are looking at will have no JM stamp. But could be a great gun despite that detail.

Have you began negotiating yet? Go straight to $600 and see what he says.
2008 Marlins are Connecticut made by Marlin employees, all JM stamped. They have a 92xxxxxx number. Mine is a real laser beam. The JM stamp never made it to New York, so early 2010 is the cut-off date for North Haven made rifles. In addition to BATFE allowing the 91xxxxxx numbers, the barrel roll stamp "North Haven Conn USA" was allowed up until the end of 2011.

I think the OP was offered a good rifle at a real good price. 910xxxxx is a genuine JM Marlin, made in Connecticut. It's definitely worth a look. Don't pass up a successful buy for lack of info. Put an eyeball on it.

Here's my 2008 1894SS. She's a valued family member.
Picture0323190928_1 - Edited (1).jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is a pretty good price in my opinion. I don't know how long it has been for sale makes me wounder why it didn't sell local to him. I have heard to many horror stories about the 91 and 92 serial numbers. If I couldn't fire a mag tube of rounds thru it before I bought it I would pass. Better to hold out and get the one you want than to be stuck with a lemon.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd make the drive and look at it even if I had to drive all the way to him.
FWIW I have an 1895GS with a 912XXXXX serial # and nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
40 Posts
2008 Marlins are Connecticut made by Marlin employees, all JM stamped. They have a 92xxxxxx number. Mine is a real laser beam. The JM stamp never made it to New York, so early 2010 is the cut-off date for North Haven made rifles. In addition to BATFE allowing the 91xxxxxx numbers, the barrel roll stamp "North Haven Conn USA" was allowed up until the end of 2011.

I think the OP was offered a good rifle at a real good price. 910xxxxx is a genuine JM Marlin, made in Connecticut. It's definitely worth a look. Don't pass up a successful buy for lack of info. Put an eyeball on it.

Here's my 2008 1894SS. She's a valued family member.
View attachment 785681
Correction. Mine is a 918xxxx 1894SS. No JM stamp, but does have the NH roll mark. It’s a remlin but is fantastic.

To the OP, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up that 1894C

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
That is a pretty good price in my opinion. I don't know how long it has been for sale makes me wounder why it didn't sell local to him. I have heard to many horror stories about the 91 and 92 serial numbers. If I couldn't fire a mag tube of rounds thru it before I bought it I would pass. Better to hold out and get the one you want than to be stuck with a lemon.
Do you have any links to the 92xxxxxx serial number horror stories? Do these stories concern 1894C or 1894 production? Please post them. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
I own serveral 91XXX or 92XXX JM Marlins--no complaints from me! Now my 2012 Remlin 308MX--that lemon is long gone............

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have several 2009 JM rifles that are fine. I have a 1895GBL with a 2009 receiver, Ct. barrel and Ct. wood and perhaps all Ct parts inside. It has a Rem proof which IIRC is 2011. Gun is perfect in all ways which I attribute to the leftover Ct. parts used to assemble it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts