Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found two new 1894's, one in 32-20 & one in 32 H&R, the price is under $650.00. Is one of these chambers more valuable than the other, ballistics are about the same? Any help is appreciated,

Barbarosa

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Barbarosa said:
I found two new 1894's, one in 32-20 & one in 32 H&R, the price is under $650.00. Is one of these chambers more valuable than the other, ballistics are about the same? Any help is appreciated,

Barbarosa
I've had both, and prefer the 32 H&R only because the brass is less hassle to size (no lube required). They're virtually identical ballistically, each loads within +/- a tenth of a grain of each other in the same bullet/velocities. It may be different nowadays, but at the time I could also find 32 H&R mag brass MUCH more available than 32-20 brass.

-Tim

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
If you handload you can load the 32-20 to higher velocity than the 32 H&R. Today brass for the 32-20 is more common than 32 H&R. They both will do pretty much the same things so the deciding factor to me is how rare. And IF the 32-20 is a standard CL and NOT a CCL then the 32 H&R is the one to go after. Heck get em both! That is a fair price for either one. If the 32-20 IS a CCL then grab it. there were only 500 of them made!

T-o-m

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Quick way to tell the difference between a CL and a CCL. CL is for Classic and has a round barrel and half magazine. CCL is for Cowboy Carbine Limited and has an octagon barrel with a full magazine.

If it was me, I'd go for the 32-20 no matter what model it is.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Old Goat Keeper said:
If you handload you can load the 32-20 to higher velocity than the 32 H&R. Today brass for the 32-20 is more common than 32 H&R. ...(snip)
I'm sure it's regional or depends on how you catch the vendors and manufacturers... But when I had both rifles I could get "all I wanted" of the 32 H&R brass (I got 500pcs from Starline) and ZERO 32-20 brass from anyone/anywhere... I only could muster the hundred 32-20 cases or so that came with the rifle.

Also, I'm aware that a lot of folks have loaded 32-20 in the past "way over published loads", but the current recommended loads by Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester shows the 32 H&R to accept a much higher case pressure (15k to 20k CUP) and corresponding higher velocities than the 32-20 (12k up to a max of 15k CUP). My own testing across the chrony (within the limits of the published load data) showed a typical minimum LilGun load to average 1521fps, whereas the MAX load I could find for LilGun in the 32-20 barely tickled 1400fps. Similar CUP limit differences are shown for faster powders such as W231/HP38. They also show a much wider powder selection for 32H&R (although it is a fairly common practice to use 32H&R data to load 32-20s, especially in the lower velocity loads... they're within a tenth of a grain or two).

FWIW, I never saw anything approaching an over pressure sign in the 32-20, even at the max published loads. That's why I believe folks have gotten away with loading the 32-20 to MUCH higher pressures and velocities than are published.

My source: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

From my experiences, you won't be disappointed with either gun, and they're virtually identical in they way they shoot. For me, I decided on keeping the 32H&R because of the ease of sizing the brass and higher published CUP limits.

just another .02,

-Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the wisdom and information, I found these while traveling this week. I will try to pick up the 32 H&R when I get back next month if they are still available.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
One big reson that SAAMI pressure for the 32-20 is so low is that there are tons of OLDER worn guns out there that will not handle more pressure but will still chamber the hotter loaded rounds. Thus a disaster in the making. The modern Marlin in 32-20 will handle the same pressure as a modern Marlin in 32 H&R!

Anyway I'm betting at those prices when you get back they BOTH will be gone! :'( CL's and CCL's in 32-20 and 32 H&R do NOT last long. I'd call them back and put money down on it.

T-o-m

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
My Lyman manual lists 32-20 loads up to 1984fps using a 100gr jacketed bullet. There's also a note that the loads are intended for modern Marlin 1894s only.

·
Registered
133 Posts
32-20 all the way! Brass is not a problem if you buy it when its available. The 32-20 will be around for a lot longer than the 32 Mag.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The 1873 Win was chambered in the .32-20, so there is one weak link for factory loadings.

The H&R does not have the side loading gate, does it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts