Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new 1894 owner. What a great rifle. Got the 44 mag in a trade with a friend. I was hoping for a little info before buying reloading components.

Does anyone have a favorite load for the Hornaday 265 gr or Speer 270 gr bullets? I have 2400, and 296 powders on hand. What kind of velocity can I expect? Is one bullet more suited to the 44 than the other?

My plans are to carry the gun while scouting for hog.

Thanks for any help.
Corbi

·
Registered
73 Posts
Howdy,

I have a Marlin 94, also, but I have only shot 240 grain bullets so far (very accurate with Winchester white Box JSP). However, I have heard very good things about the 270 Speer gold dots. I think one of these over appropriate amounts (look at a reloading manual) of W 296 or H110 and magnum primers w give you a hog killing thumper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I load a no-name 240 grain bullet that I bought at a gun show. I think they may be copper plated but not sure. Over 21 grains of 2400 I clocked it at 1782 FPS. I just bought some Remington's 240 gr HP but haven't loaded them yet.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I use the Speer 270s with a max load of 2400 according to Hodgdon's manual and am very satisfied with the accuracy. I don't really recall what the max load is, it's either 17 or 17.5 grains. Maybe someone else will jump in here and verify. Otherwise, I'll look it up when I get home and post it. I've been very satisfied with the performance on paper. Sorry, when I go hunting, I take one of my 444s. I use the same bullet in those.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
My 1894SS loves the 265gr Hornady JFP with 20gr 0f 2400, & large pistol primers. They shoot & group great in my gun. 444 :D :D :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had my best results with the Speer #4435 225 grain JHP with about 10 grains of 'Unique' or 20 grains of '2400'. I tried 'Bullseye' but it was too fast burning for me, even in my revolver. I preferred 'Unique' over '2400' because it burned cleaner (I'm lazy). I never chronographed my loads but the published data shows that slower powders like '2400' and 'Lil-gun' will send the 225 grain pill whistling down range faster than the quicker burning powders.

Let us know what you decide upon for your favorite load.

Jim H

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
My best advice is to try a box of each and let the gun tell you what it likes. My buddy and I both have 1894SS's in 44 mag, but they are total opposites as to what loads they prefer. Mine likes moderate charges and 180 or 240 grain bullets, his thrives on the Remington 210 and nothing else. Ask the gun!

Papajohn

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'll probably stick to heavier bullets than 240 gr. The 265 or 270 grain bullets should give a little extra horse power for hog killing. I worry over shooting a lite pistol bullet at an animal the size of a hog.

Got a couple of hundred once fired WW 44 mag brass at the gun show today. Paid $3.25/50. Could not find Hornaday dies but they are available locally.

Did not buy bullets. Hornadays and Speers are available locally cheaper than at the gun show.

Corbi

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I wouldn't even think of shooting a pig with anything lighter than a 240, and no hollow points allowed. Gimme a 240 soft-point, or something heavier. But bear in mind hogs have been killed with stuff much lighter, like 357/180's, because no matter what you're using, shot placement still matters more than anything else. I didn't mean to intimate that a pistol bullet was good for anything more than varmints and paper or plinking uses. But they do SERIOUS damage to little critters. All the BOOM you can ask for, but little or no recoil. It's really easy to shoot up a hundred in an hour or two. Just ask my son, he's an expert! :roll:

PJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
Corbi, why would a heavier bullet give you more "horse power"? I have seen that opinion expressed several times on this forum. For example, is the little 150 grain slug from a .30-06 too light a bullet to kill a feral pig?

I submit that the kinetic energy of the projectile (which increases by the square of the velocity) is more important than the bullet weight.

Jim H

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all of the responses. It is very interesting finding out what works for others here.

My choice of bullets is all about proper construction and proper application. I will probably stick to the heavier bullets for use on hogs.

I like papajohn's advice as I will probably get a box of each.

Thanks again,
Corbi

·
Registered
73 Posts
Corbi, why would a heavier bullet give you more "horse power"? I have seen that opinion expressed several times on this forum. For example, is the little 150 grain slug from a .30-06 too light a bullet to kill a feral pig?

A 30/06 and a 44 magnum are totaly different animals. Te 30/06 is a much faster round. At the speeds of a 44 magnum (or other slower moving/wide metaplat type of projectile) heavy means penetration.

Actually, even with a 30/06, I'd prefer a heavier round - at least a 165 grain. Paper kinetic energy figures don't always mean kills better in the real world. Ever heard of the Taylor Knock Out factor?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep, I'm familiar with the TKF. Applying it to a to a baseball which meets the specifications of the major league teams, a moderately pitched baseball has a Taylor Knockout Factor of approximately 200. A .38 revolver has a TKF of about 20.

If an intruder entered your home, which would you grab, a baseball or a .38?

Jim H

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Do a search on Hogs and you will find several posts (not neccessarily this forum so start on the Forums Index page) you will find photo's and loads that include the 44 that have been used on Hogs with pictures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi eizenmetzger,

I agree that that TKO measurement isn't completely perfect either. The debate between the efficacy between slow heavy bullets vs small fast ones go back further than the debates between Elmer Keith vs Jack O'connor.

However, it is also pretty accurate to say that a heavy bullet is going to penetrate better than a lighter one in any caliber or configuration. Sure you may lose range and trajectory but within its range, give me a heavy bullet if needed.

You mentioned a 150 grain 30/06 bullet before- well, if you were hunting Elk or Moose, I'm sure you would want at least a 180 grain bullet (actually 200 would be better).

In a 44 magnum, 180 grain bullets will not even penetrate a large Whitetail, but a 240 grainer will take them down for the count. Admittedly, there is no need for the heavier 300 grainers for deer, but bear - different story.

Also, you wrote:
If an intruder entered your home, which would you grab, a baseball or a .38?

No, I'd grab my 40SW before I'd grab a 38.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replys.

Thanks for the replys.

For now I have settled on 20 gr of 296 w/Speer 270 grain bullet as I have already purchased a box of the Speers.

I searched this forum and Beartooth Bullet forum. I will probably move to a 265 or possibly a 250 gr WFN hard cast. The large meplat looks better to me.

The 150 grain bullets are a fine wieght in 30 caliber. Probably even made for the velocities generated from a 3006. Probably give good penetration on most game. There are also 30 cal bullets made in 110 and 125 grains.

Eisenmetzger, would you use a 110 gr bullet from a 3006 on a 300# hog? It could surley be driven at a much higher velocity.

Corbi

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eisenmetzger,

The annual Manual lists the following loads:
180gr Hdy 44mag XTP from a rifle at 2286fps
200 gr Nos 44 mag JHP @ 2106FPS
110 gr HDY SP from a 3006 @ 3396FPS
Lots of velocity here.

For comparison. A 30 carbine makes about 2000 fps with a 110 gr bullet.

Which of these loads, in your opinion, are better than a 270 gr Speer 44 mag @ 1637Fps for a 300#+ hog? Why?

Corbi

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eisenmetzger,

First my apologies if I come across as confrontational.

I started the thread asking for information from other hunters about a specific bullet. I got good information that I appreciated, and enjoyed reading. Including yours.

You then seemed to want to debate my bullet choice. While I typically wouldn't bite at your attempts to start a debate on velocity verses momentum, some other well meaning individual did. You really have me wondering am I using the proper bullet for my application? Your example about using a baseball over a hand gun for home defense leads me to believe you are a wealth of ballistic knowledge we can utilize here.

I also appreciated the private message you sent. That is a cool forum. If the 30 carbine is such a great hunting cartridge why are there so few hunting type firearms chambered in this fine old round? This we wonder.

Please review this thread and reply back on this thread the proper bullet choice for a 44 magnum rifle for this animal. http://www.marlinowners.com/board/v...t=shield&sid=c3fb443236c7a6aecb49a0185e6623eb

I'll p.m. you so you won't miss the chance to reply.

Corbi

·
Registered
62 Posts
Corbi,
No apology necessary. I am no expert by any means and had no intention of starting a debate. When I posted about energy versus momentum, I was asking an honest question about the advantage of heavier bullets on small game. I followed the advice and searched for the effects of various firearms on hogs. Everyone seems to have their pet caliber and load.
I never stated that the .30 Carbine cartridge was a 'great hunting' cartridge. In my research I found that some people had success with it as a hunting round. Since it headspaces on on the case mouth, production costs to manufacture a rifle for that cartridge is prohibitive.
In my experience the twist rate in my .44's seems to favor slightly lighter bullets, e.g. 225 grain over the heavier slugs. Certainly, bullet construction plays an important factor in effectiveness. Having a bullet fragment on contact with pigskin is undesireable when planning for a future pork roast.
Best wishes,
Jim H.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The heavier bullets will penetrate better. The twist rate on the 44 is slow, but I expect the 270 grain bullets to shoot fine. I expect light for caliber bullets with poor sectional density will not give me the penetration I am looking for.

When I hunt I prepare for the largest animal I may have the opportunity to take. I have seen two hogs that were about 300#. Found a dead one that would go 350#. It was shot and lost by a bow hunter. I really think the heavier bullets would be the ones to use on these animals.

I have taken one 145# hog with my 45/70. Used a 405 gr soft point at around 1600fps. Simply put, at close range a large expanding bullet at a moderate velocity works pretty well.

Corbi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts