Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 246 Posts

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Dave--

Thanks for the ideas.

Actually I did both, I used a bullet pulled from a 38-40 round and a 50 cal. round ball I use in my muzzle loader, soft lead. I did lube both the barrel and the bullet before sizing and came up with the same dia. both times. The slug pictured above is of the bullet I used. I'm hoping by going to the larger dia. I can salvage this before relining or having to go the PSB route. I'll try everything/anything available before relining though.

I don't have anything here in lead that would be 3/4 to 1 inch long though. I guess I could heat up some lead and pour it into a 44 mag case and use that though---sound about right ?

Steve

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dave---

Look at pic above with the bullet in the mic--haven't done groove--probably should though. BRB---- Just checked--the fat part is .401 the skinny part is .395, also, in the pic above of the bullet slug there is right at 1/2" of engagement into the rifling.

Steve

· Registered
50 Posts
what a wonderful part of history..and what I wouldn't give to be able to even understand what you experienced fellas are talking about much less being able to actually do it..my hats off to you folks..I'm just getting started and have purchased two Marlins, DOM 1981 336 30-30 and DOM 2000 1894C 357/38sp..bought me a few Grace tool sets and have started to learn how these lever rifles work..this forum is a jewel for us beginners to absorb all the knowledge available..

· Premium Member
17,134 Posts
Hey Steve,

Nice looking rifle.

Pretty sure you will "iron out" the bugs.

Later, Mark

Reactions: ia1727

· Registered
11,863 Posts
Steve what diameter did that bullet measure prior to slugging the bore? The smaller diameter measured on the lead is the bore diameter. I'm thinking the groove diameter did not fill out on your slug. When i slug there will be a nice lead ring that falls off the slug as it is entering the barrel. You will see the lead is smeared and pushed back.

Ammunition Bullet Metal Brass Gun accessory

In these photo the ring is in the front left corner of the frame. That fell off the slug as it was being pushed into the barrel that was being slugged.

Metal

Finished slug will reveal the bore and groove diameters.

A 45ACP case with get you a .450" slug. A 44-40 case with get you a .432 slug. A cut down 30-30 will get you a .400" slug. and they are long enough for a nice bearing surface and easier to measure into the cuts on the lead made by the lands.

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Dave---

Thanks again.

I have the same "donut" you speak of left from the 50 cal. round ball I used. I didn't check the bullet before slugging the barrel, only after. I'm going to pull another bullet from this ammo also and see what it mic's at before slugging. Just checked Brophys Book and bore dia. as new was .395 for the 38-40 so I should be good there. BBS( be back soon--going to pull a round)

Steve

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Folsom--

Welcome---glad you're here. You hang around here long enough and you'll be "speakin" the jargon before long too. Everyone here are always more than willing to help. You will also learn the more involved you are here the more expensive it gets---so says my wife anyway.

Hi Mark--

Thanks--part of the fun and learning curve is solving the problems-----buying new is to easy--------- you know. Sending you a PM also.

Steve

· Registered
11,863 Posts
I'm thinking your bore measurement is accurate and spot on at .395" And the pulled 38-40 bullet would work well for getting that measurement. I'm just thinking that bullet might be .401" right from the start. Your 50 cal. bullet would work good, but those are usually .458" IIRC. But measure yours to be sure. Round balls are harder to measure and can become out of round during the slugging process. I tried round balls early on and they did work, just harder to measure accurately.

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Again--you are correct. Just pulled another bullet from the ammo I used--measures .401, I used both the mic and the calipers and both are the same. I'll make up a "slug" to slug it with tomorrow when mommas gone and try that. I'm thinking a .403 bullet will be just the ticket, if not that then I'm going to have the muzzle/crown checked to make sure there's nothing going on there.

The main reason I suspect it's just undersized bullets is due to the first few shots I fired were as good as I can ask of it , not till it warmed up did it start slinging lead. Going to check for leading in the am also-------it's kinda fun figurin' this stuff out.

Steve

· Registered
11,863 Posts
What you are saying would make sense that it started to lead due to poor bullet fit. Started key-holeing. I think matching bullet to your groove would be a great first step. Your going up in diameter is in the right direction. What diameter are other b38-40 users using in vintage Marlins?

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What you are saying would make sense that it started to lead due to poor bullet fit. Started key-holeing. I think matching bullet to your groove would be a great first step. Your going up in diameter is in the right direction. What diameter are other b38-40 users using in vintage Marlins?
Not sure about others but I have a Marlin '94 w/26" barrel and the same ammo with the .401 bullets did this---remember ?

Factory and hard cast bullets sold by the bullet companies are usually sold as .401's as standard offerings.

Target archery Yellow Shooting sport Recreation Archery

Steve

· Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
No problem. They are good bullets and I rechecked they are 8-9 Brinell. I think pure lead is 5 so they are soft!
I used these in my 38-40 that measured .409 on the groove.
PSB and IMR-4227 gave me clover leaf groups at 50 yards!
Good to know Lou--Thanks I'll keep that info. handy in case I need to go that route. I'm hoping the .403's will solve the problem though.

Steve

21 - 40 of 246 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.