Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this Model 1894 dated to 1894 recently and wanted to share. Pics are from seller--I'll get more/better pics if it ever quits raining here. I'm in the process of tearing it down for cleaning right now---more info. later on.

1894 38-40.JPG 38-40.JPG 38-40 wcf.JPG 1894 38w.JPG Marlin 1894 38W.JPG

Steve :tee:

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Looks like you found a treasure to me.:congrats:

Reactions: ia1727

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Great looking 1894 Steve! Dang...How many 1894's you have now?:biggrin: 38-40 is a cool ol round! The gun has it all, nice sights, barrel flats look good, wood doesn't ever seem to ever be sanded....I'll take it!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Clark (cj57)--hope to have some fun with it.

LF--Thanks---going to clean it up and hopefully get to shoot it this weekend.

Hi Lou--

How Many :questionmark: Two :questionmark:. Looks to be all original--wood serials to gun also--nope, never been sanded down but this thing is absolutely filthy--worst I've ever encountered--crud and grime on top of crud and grime--really nasty--hopefully it will all clean up ok. Have to get the barrel squeaky clean before I slug it. I think if WetDog see's this I'm going to have to say " Hey Fernando--meet Fernandina"---hopefully this ol' gal will clean up ok and be a good shooter.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's Play " Looking for Waldo" Kind of--

What do you see in this photo that just doesn't belong there ( click to enlarge if necessary). I like surprises just like anyone else--this had me rolling on the floor, never have I ever seen anything like it before.

DSCN0485.JPG

The barrel/bore cleaned up really nice-----like a mirror inside--tried to take pics but the lighting is very poor right now. I did get the barrel slugged using a 38-40 180 gr. bullet and it appears as though it may be a shooter after all.

DSCN0490.JPG

Internal gun parts and crescent butt pad still show CCH on the protected areas---stock and for-end were on so tight I needed to tap them just to get them started to get them off. The Model 94 38-40 I have has a 26" barrel--this one sports the 24" version---will be interesting to see if there is any appreciable differences between the two.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Steve, That is one great looking old Marlin. The way you describe it sounds like it's never been apart. Of course you know it has been a little to put in the dowel. Was it to fix a broken
mag spring or maybe limit the mag capacity? Either way it's an easy fix. I'm sure you'll have a blast with the old girl.
Regards,

·
Registered
525 Posts
Congratulations Steve. I just want to know where in the heck you find all of these fine looking old Marlins? Sometimes I wonder if I should just mail you a blank check along with my shopping list lol. Mark

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike---

You nailed it --- I took the mag tube off and out pops the wooden plug. I've seen plenty of plugs for shotguns but never in a rifle before. Should be an easy fix for sure I just need to find a spring for it----so far.

Steve

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Nice looking old 1894 Steve, the old girls going to like getting a little bath and scrub down. You'll have her all ready to last another 100 years, till her next scheduled bath!

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mark--

I spend way to much time looking for them---that's how-:biggrin:- sure --- send me a check--I'll fill it out and let you know ( someday) what I found. What's a shopping list ?:ahhhhh:

Thanks Dave--

This is one time I really wish I had an automotive parts cleaner. Got one I could borrow for awhile ? Mag tube was literally stuck to the barrel, needed to take a wooden shim and drive it between the mag tube and barrel to free it---lots a crud. After 5 hours of wiping,cleaning, brushing, picking and oiling it's finally starting to look like something. Surprisingly it appears as though the crud and grime seemed to protect a lot of areas--I've found very little rust anywhere. Hopefully the crud wasn't what was holding this thing together---may not cycle now that it's getting a cleaning. Hopefully I can get it on paper tomorrow if the rains stop.

Steve

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I have used 4' long pvc pipe in 8" diameter to make a sealed tube on one end. Use a mix of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and kerosen to soak mag tubes and barrels or actions. Works well for soaking the long stuff. The parts washers at the shop are OK, but the tub is only 24" x 36" I hope you get to shoot it Saturday. Looking forward to more photos and targets.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
David ( Fud)---

I have a 6' piece of 5" gutter I have here with end caps on it I could have used also--never thought about it for guns/parts .

Steve

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
That's bloody beautiful Steve.
Should send those pics to Remington so they might learn how to fit the stock to the action.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Oz--

I'm afraid the fit on the furniture of this gun would fall in the unobtainable spectrum for the impostors posing as Marlin Manufacturers. I wish it wasn't so------but------in 10 years (if they're still around) they may have had enough time to at least get close. The stock and forearm on this were so tight that they would not budge by hand--had to tap them with a mallet to get them started. That's called a honeymoon fit--------------------------------------good and tight.

Steve

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
You may have something there Steve about the dirt protecting the parts. My first cousin married a guy that was tightwad and he would buy a new car and drive it for 3 to 4 years and never wash it. You literally could not see what the paint color was on the car and when he got ready to sell it he would wash it and the car looked brand spanking new on the outside. The road film protected the paint job from ultraviolet light I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks horseshoe--

I'll find out this afternoon if removing the gunk has helped. Let the bore soak again overnight and it's now running clean patches. More later.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well folks we have some good news and some not so good news. Looking at the target you will see the first 5 shots were rather impressive--at least for me. First 3 shots were in the bull--1 just to the right and one about an inch low. That's when the not so good started. The more I shot the more things opened up. I'm shooting Black Hills Factory ammo and I pulled a bullet from 1 round and they are sized at .401----The pic above shows the bullet and it was contacting the rifling when I slugged the barrel. I did notice however that once the bullet engaged the rifling it was very,very easy to push through the rest of the barrel--easier than any other barrel I have slugged.

Temps. here today were in the 60's so it wasn't due to ambient temps. and although the barrel got warm it was by no means hot, I checked it with the back of my hand and it was just warm to touch. I haven't had a chance to check for leading yet but will due that shortly. I'm definitely on the look out for some .403 dia. bullets. If anyone has a source please let me know so I can get some samples headed my way.

The gun cycled perfectly and is very well balanced--it's a keeper once I can get the wrinkles ironed out. Hope it doesn't need to be relined but only time will tell.

Maybe the crud was left in there for a reason, huh ?

DSCN0492.JPG

Steve--:tee:

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Steve, I re-read this and just want to clear up a question. Are you using a 38-40 lead bullet at .401" to slug your 38-40 barrel? If so your measurments will not be very accurate. When I slug, (and everyone will have there own opinions) I like the lead slug to be longer in lenght. about 3/4" long. I like the diameter to be .005" to .010" larger in diameter to what I am expecting the groove diameter to be. I use gun wax on the bullet and bore to help with lubing the barrel for pushing the lead through. Micrometer with ball or points work well for measuring, but a good steel caliper will also work. You may have a candidate for a PSB load, depending on you measurment numbers. Or some hollow base lead bullets. Again these are just my .02 cents worth, lots of ways to come up with the best load for your rifle.

Thanks for posting the photos, target and progress.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts