Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local place has one on the rack, tagged as a model 1889 in 32-20.
It's a bit rough, but certainly better than the 2 Winchester 92s that came from the same "collection."
Stocks sanded so that the tang sits at least 5/16" higher than the wood, enough to make you weep.
The 92s are basket cases, and they want real money for them, but the Marlin is at least salvageable.

If I do bring it home tomorrow, what will I be able to put through it?
Am I correct in assuming it is a blackpowder only rifle?
How about TrailBoss? Unique?
I'm thinking strictly cast for tin cans and maybe the occasional gopher, but I would want to put it to use.

I realise I'm asking a bunch of enablers here :biggrin:, but should I get it?
I've been thinking about it for 5 days now, and even picked up a handfull of brass for it yesterday...
If I've gone and bought brass for a rifle I don't even own, is there any hope for me :questionmark:

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I am planning the same thing. I am also looking at a 1889 in 32-20. You can only shoot cast, but you can ether run black powder or black powder like smokeless loads. I am still in the research stage of looking up smokeless loads, myself.
Good luck
And go by the 1889.
P.S. lt isn't a 26" round barrel, is it?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was, before someone went at it with the chop saw. :vollkommenauf:
It's ~24" now.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
It was, before someone went at it with the chop saw. :vollkommenauf:
It's ~24" now.
Ok, as long as it isn't the one I am looking at.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
O, by the way I bought a hand loading tool, a year ago, and some brass several months ago. So you are already in my shoes.:vollkommenauf::biggrin:

·
Registered
661 Posts
If I've gone and bought brass for a rifle I don't even own, is there any hope for me :questionmark:
Sorry buddy. If you've asked the question, it's all ready to late. Glad you're trying to save it from any further indignity.
Best regards.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Rory,

What's your reference for real money/salvageable? What do they want for the rifle? If you are just shooting tin cans and the occasional gopher, it might be cost prohibitive. Of course if ya got it...:)

John

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I certainly don't "got it", but I want something different.
Basically, I want something I can use for tin cans and gopher and such, and keep for a long time without depreciation.
I have $504 to spend from selling wedding rings, and I want something that will last longer than 14 years :flute:

I plan on going to another shop today to see if they have anything I feel I can't live without, but the 32-20 is calling.
The bore looked to be really good, other than either a hair or a vertical scratch right in the middle, I plan on taking a pull-through with me for the next look.
The wood hasn't been molested much, with a bit of rag stuck in a splinter on the right side.
Clean pits on the outside of the barrel, and screwheads boogered, with some corresponding scratches on the receiver.
Barrel was cutback (a looong time ago, going by patina) not quite straight, but I have files if need be.

They have it on consignment for $450, and I plan on grabbing another rifle they have for my buddy.
I'm hoping that with some bargaining on the two, I could get the price down to ~$400

If I were smart, I'd buy a couple of beater bolt 30-06s to fix up and flip, but I want to have something I can look at for years as a reminder/compensation/burr...etc that I won't be tempted to part with for a quick buck.
Of course, If I were smart, I probably wouldn't be where I am now :hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Rory,

In that case get the Marlin in .32-20. I just bought one myself. That is a good price and a lot of fun will be had. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm thinking strictly cast for tin cans and maybe the occasional gopher, but I would want to put it to use.
I always felt that a 32-20 (and 25-20) could be reloaded for about the cost of 22LRs (especially nowadays!) and considering your intended use, am thinking this is a "no-brainer" and fun to boot!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If the gun is shootable, buy it. You will never look back. It is an easy cartridge to load for and ecconomical to boot as you have mentioned. The .32-20 with a 105 grain round nose flat point bullet over 10 gr of 2400 is very accurate in my Marlin and is a killing proposition on game up to coyote or cougar. In a pinch it will do deer too. I was 66 years old before I got a .32-20 and beat myself for waiting so long.

Reactions: Schtoolee

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loads for 32-20

A box of 32-20 is running better than $50 these days. I've had good luck with 100-115 gr cast bullets and Trail Boss. Trail Boss is however a bit dirty at the low end of the recommended loadings. Light charges (under 5.5 grs) of Unique also work well with 100-115 grain cast bullets.

Check out Paco Kelly's article for loads for black powder 32-20 lever guns

1 - 12 of 12 Posts