Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an 1893 in 38-55.It has a 24" octagonal barrel.Blueing 75%,no rust ,no case coloring left on receiver.The bore is good and everything works as it should.It has a replacement butt stock.What is a fair price to pay????Thanks ahead ,OB

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Hey OB... you know you are gonna get asked for pictures :)

I'll be watching and curious myself. I like 26" bores but don't see why it wouldn't be a servicable working-man's rifle to have a blast with if the bore is good. No collector value so maybe if you just think of it as any Marlin you'd been wanting... say a 375 Win that is not pristine or anything, just good and serviceable.

Inspect the bore from the chamber end though.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
OLBIKER - Locally a Marlin 1893 in most any caliber in decent shootable condition runs from about $750 - $1,500. Bad news being so due the clunkers. You just have to decide how much you want to pay, suck it up and pay. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes you get rained out. If the bore and chamber area are nice I would think $950-$1,100 should get it. Best of luck. Shenandoah

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Rifle is 250 miles from me.All I have seen are pictures.The barrel is not marked Special Smokeless Steel.I heard that makes it less valuable.He is asking $650.00,but I think will come down.WE have had freaking snow the last three days and got about 8 inches last night.SO I am hoping to look at it Saturday with some green in my hand!!!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
The Rifle is 250 miles from me.All I have seen are pictures.The barrel is not marked Special Smokeless Steel.I heard that makes it less valuable.He is asking $650.00,but I think will come down.WE have had freaking snow the last three days and got about 8 inches last night.SO I am hoping to look at it Saturday with some green in my hand!!!:biggrin:
Olbiker,

If it ain't marked SSS then it is most likely a BP barrel. Do you shoot BP? Did you buy it?

John

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No,I took a pass on it.The bore was really bad.It also had pitting that I had not noticed in the pics that was pretty bad.I will wait until a nicer one shows up even if I have to Pony up more money.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Good move OLDBIKER no point of buying something you won't be happy with and would have a hell of a time getting your money back out of. Just hang in there until that keeper comes along and it will. eh

·
Registered
202 Posts
My at the gunshop beat me to a 1893 in .38-55 it was made in 1894... has a replaced buttstock, clean shiney bore and chamber in great shape and it makes me sick he got it for $400..... me I am still looking..... come to think of it he always beats me to the good old stuff... hmmmm maybe he ain't such a buddy....... lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.