Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,My question is are take-down 1893 Marlins any good,are they prone to loosing over time,and are they worth the extra dollars ? pros and cons

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Anything will loosen if you keep taking it apart and putting it back together again. The Marlin takedown system is quite simple and robust, and the takedown wedge can be built up if it's worn. The takedown feature on old guns made them more convenient to pack for travel - on trains, bicycles, trolleys, and so on.

Back in the 50's when I was in college out in Wisconsin, I had my father mail me my Model 62A Winchester. It arrived in its factory box ("wrapped in plain brown paper so the neighbors won't know") taken down. We weren't allowed to have firearms on campus, you see. I stowed the gun in a dresser drawer, and when I wanted to plink, I'd walk off campus with the taken down rifle under my Woolrich coat. I'd walk a mile or so out of town on the railroad tracks and ventilate some tin cans. Nobody was ever the wiser. I doubt I could get away with that today!

Fewer takedowns were manufactured, and they ofttimes will have other extra features. Scarcity alone will lead to higher prices for takedowns versus standard guns - given comparable condtion, of course.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had this same question ratlin' around in my head. Some time back, I had the opportunity to acquire a really nice two barrel set and held back. It was pricey, but this question caused my hesitation…along with the price….
OK, someone, please let us know your thoughts on this.
G Mac

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have had this same question ratlin' around in my head. Some time back, I had the opportunity to acquire a really nice two barrel set and held back. It was pricey, but this question caused my hesitation…along with the price….
OK, someone, please let us know your thoughts on this.
G Mac
If you were able to afford the set, you should have bought it.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I would say enough evidence exists in guns found with peen marks on take downs, to prove that they did indeed loosen up over time. I wonder if the cause was perhaps the heat treat on the cam came out less than perfect, rather than taking it apart too often.

Another famed gun often seen which flops around, is of course the early Win 1912 and M12. But they have several more parts than a 93 system, and were often taken down to store in their cases.

I would say a high priced gun should be allowed to be assembled for proof before I would buy it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Guys,My question is are take-down 1893 Marlins any good,are they prone to loosing over time,and are they worth the extra dollars ? pros and cons
I have one, I have shot it, taken it apart several times and dont regret it.. of coarse, mine was in a barn or a root cellar for years so I had to do the unthinkable.. take it down to white bone steel, or watch it disappear and be gone..... if you can afford it, do not hesitate ... and if for some reason you stumble onto another caliber barrel that would work, buy it too...

0722121001a.jpg 0722121001.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts