Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I am the new and EXTREMELY proud owner of a Model 1893 takedown in 30-30. The serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1903. It's in decent shape, with all the dings one would expect of a 111 year old rifle but nothing really major. The bore looks good, but I won't know until I clean it. It was a gift from my stepfather, and according to him has been in his family since new.

The action is smooth as glass with one glaring exception: when I drop the lever it hangs on the carrier, and the only way to get it to return to battery is to release the magazine tube latch, move it forward, and turn the rifle upside down. It's missing the carrier screw, and from what I've learned so far that seems to be the culprit. I've looked at a couple of 336 diagrams (I've read they're practically identical) and there are a couple of other parts that are back there as well, the carrier rocker and rocker spring, so I won't know for sure what I've got going on until I take it apart and have a look.

I've watched a 336 disassembly video, and it doesn't look too difficult. I'd like to do the work myself, and not just to save money. I like to know how my stuff works. Are there any issues I need to be aware of before I disassemble this rifle?

Also, there's a pivoting flat piece of metal at the barrel threads that appears to be some sort of latch. What is this, and what does it do? I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give. I've wanted a 26" octagonal barreled lever action all my life, and I'm wanting to take good care of this rifle.

0HkMd11.jpg wsKaUiE.jpg 6RoNyzr.jpg

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts