Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of a deal for a 25-36 rifle. 26" octagon barrel 85% and turning brown, good but dark bore and factory sling swivels :D Delivered to me for $800, I think it's a good price ..... any thoughts of me being wrong :?:

·
Registered
579 Posts
For this area it sounds about right. I have been seeing 1893's in lesser calibers close to bringing that price and I feel that is a desirable caliber. Next time you are down this way give me a call. FWIW moodyholler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I took the plunge and put a downpayment on it last week, so it should be in my possesion in about three weeks :D :D :D :D :D Now I have to get dies from CH-4D and scrape up a mold some where and I'll be in buisness :!:

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hey 6pt -

Compared to what I ran across Sat, you stole it!! Went to the Charlotte gun show and the third or fourth table had a beautiful 1893 on the table. Bluing was great, wood looked remarkably good........and the receiver was blued - my FIRST decent condition "Blackpowder only" 1893 within reach. After a good 15 or 20 second inspection, I knew something was wrong - the bbl was marked "Special Smokeless Steel". Wrong rear sight. Rounded receiver edges. A poor reblue job. At that point I figured I could knock the receiver back to crisp, recase it, if I could get into it right. Well, I asked what he wanted - he said he'd take 1200 cash :shock: After I stood back up, I asked if he was serious - he said yeah, 1200. I wished him luck and continued the hunt. Moron.

800 sounds like a decent price like Moody said - especially in that caliber. Good deal. Congrats. :D

Shum8

·
Registered
579 Posts
6 pt, I have dies, and am ordering a bullet mold. I also picked up 215 sticks of old W-W 25-35 brass. This caliber is a blast to shoot. BTW, I found a set of RCBS dies in a local shop for 30.00. (25-36M) YOU can bet I snapped them up! moodyholler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shum, I was at the show in Chantilly in February. They had a 1893 in 32-40 that had been reblued and stock refinished for $700 , I almost bought it until I saw the 8 or 9 plugged holes in the side :? Like you I think $800 for this one ain't bad :D Moody, CH-4D sells dies for about $75 , I know a guy that can turn me on to a mold for about $65 and I already have 60 pieces of new WW brass. Midway still shows 25-35 brass in their catalog also :!: The mold I plan on getting is for a 111 grain roundnose gascheck bullet. If it will shoot decently and I can get a medium sized doe within 60 yards of me next season I plan on giving it a try :!:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the 25-36 should be in my hands next friday :D Bullet mold should also be here by then . Already have brass (60 pieces ). Now all I need to do is order the dies from CH4D.... should also be here next week some time :D :!:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've got one in 32-40 with rod wear and I am having trouble getting it to shoot good. Am considering a reline. Later, JAP

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Before you reline it, drop me a line. I've got a takeoff that's 90-95% condition, in .32-40 I'll sell for less than a reline.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gotta put in another dig for CH4-D . Ordered the dies on 8-11 and had them in my hands on 8-14. This is the second set of dies I got from them and I'm quite happy with both sets. For "obselete" hard to find dies these are the people to go to. The quality is every bit as good as RCBS and for these types of cartridges way cheaper in price 8) 25-36 dies from RCBS were gonna cost about $40-50 more and take 3-4 weeks to get :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took 25-36 out today for the first time, shot Hornady 117 grain roundnose. The groups at 100 avg. 3" for 5 shots. Not great but not bad . Now all I need is a suitable mold 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts