Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old 1893 .30-30 carbine off gunbroker but the buttstock had been shortened with a flat plastic buttplate installed. Not liking this alteration, I bought a nice old replacement buttstock for it off eBay, but.......it didn’t come with the original metal curved buttplate. Anyone know where I can get one? Not the crescent buttplate but the regular curved carbine style. I’d make one myself but don’t know if I’m good enough to make the slight inward-curl (cupping) they had. eBay, gun broker, internet search, Numrich is not producing anything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Need to know which buttplate your new stock is cut for. There are 2 or 3 different styles, so post a picture and maybe I can assist in locating it. Is it a true carbine buttstock with the flat return over the top? Or the S buttplate that is just slightly curved, and rounded top and bottom? Or the third type that's semi curved, but more "pointed" top and bottom? This last type has rounded ends, but they don't curve back at the top and bottom, so they look somewhat like a crescent, but aren't the heavy casting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought an old 1893 .30-30 carbine off gunbroker but the buttstock had been shortened with a flat plastic buttplate installed. Not liking this alteration, I bought a nice old replacement buttstock for it off eBay, but.......it didn’t come with the original metal curved buttplate. Anyone know where I can get one? Not the crescent buttplate but the regular curved carbine style. I’d make one myself but don’t know if I’m good enough to make the slight inward-curl (cupping) they had. eBay, gun broker, internet search, Numrich is not producing anything.

Thanks in advance!
Need to know which buttplate your new stock is cut for. There are 2 or 3 different styles, so post a picture and maybe I can assist in locating it. Is it a true carbine buttstock with the flat return over the top? Or the S buttplate that is just slightly curved, and rounded top and bottom? Or the third type that's semi curved, but more "pointed" top and bottom? This last type has rounded ends, but they don't curve back at the top and bottom, so they look somewhat like a crescent, but aren't the heavy casting.

marlinman93 see picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
99DD0B35-C0A4-42B8-ACB2-EFC1B8B1A58F.jpeg It looks like you need this one, it’s called the S type, could be found on rifles and carbines. Gun-parts Corp had some a while back, check with them

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
That's not a carbine buttstock, it's the later rifle stock that uses the "S" type buttplate. They are often found on Ebay, but expect to pay a big price for them. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlin-189...730517?hash=item23d396cbd5:g:rcUAAOSwJx1ed7pG

You'll likely still need to do some fitting as these were individually fitted to stocks. Some fit pretty close, while others need stock fitting, or slight bending of the buttplates. Early Marlins were really custom built guns, so always need some fitting.

Reactions: CrookedST

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Here’s one of those Gun parts Corp had, they were NOS. The one on EBay is not correct, that’s a crescent butt made late to replace the old style cast , they used for a short time
3D1573BA-1DE5-41BA-A1FB-E92BBCA68144.jpeg 5F62FF4C-5AAB-403C-B14C-B6B2B96FC84C.jpeg 78F513B3-9388-4FCD-8D87-61F634B61FFC.jpeg FCCE069F-4BB9-4FF4-9B9B-C485ABFD7FF0.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve been searching and searching with NO luck. Nobody has one. Gun Parts, EBay, precision gunstocks..... Help! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Here's an option I've done on older Marlins. Convert it to a "hard rubber" style buttplate. Repros are offered in black plastic, and can be formed to fit the buttstock by boiling them in hot water, and then forming the shape against the buttplate while they cool. I use large inner tubes or rubber bands around the stock to keep the buttplates pulled tight until they cool. Then attach them with the two screws, and file the edge to meet closely to the stock. Remove the plate and sand the filed edge smooth and buff it to a shine.
This is the plate I use for this era 1893. But measure your stock first to be sure it's big enough to cover the end of the stock.

https://www.vintagegungrips.com/shop/marlin-buttplate-4-78-x-1-916/

Reactions: Big Al1

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Call Dick Williams gun parts. I've looked for you at multiple places to no avail. I have seen them from time to time on Jack First gun parts and ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call Dick Williams gun parts. I've looked for you at multiple places to no avail. I have seen them from time to time on Jack First gun parts and ebay.

Thanks all! Guess I’ll see what I can accomplish with a piece of flat steel and some heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts