Marlin Firearms Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems to me that a cartridge that could be cycled through the action wouldn't be any sturdier than one loaded singly? If this was a safety issue I'd think ranges wouldn't allow single shot rifle matches? My guess is the requirement to cycle through the action just insures that a "lever action" match only allows magazine fed lever actions. Since many single shots use a lever to cycle the action, adding the magazine rule simply ensures they're all magazine fed lever actions, and not single shot lever actions.
makes sense, but the problem they were having was people were loading cartridges with no crimp, and too long to extract, then if an emergency cease fire was called they couldn't clear the action.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Well, I have made progress but I have not yet achieved reliable feeding. As I mentioned earlier, I sent my outer magazine tube off to my gunsmiths tig welder to see if he could come up with some type of a fix. So I don't have it with me. Aside from the fact that I think I have figured out how to fix it myself without any welding (see new thread) I am beginning to think that the outer magazine tube positions the follower so it does not enter the receiver. This appears to be causing me some feeding issues as sometimes the carrier contacts the end of the follower on the way down. Can someone confirm for me that the follower should not enter the receiver as shown in the picture below?

20200307_184155.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The follower does indeed enter the receiver. How much depends on how it functions. Too much and it will interfere with function. Not enough and it wont feed cartridges into the receiver reliably.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thanks Marlinman. I looked at the function more and it functions properly empty. There is no conflict. But when I load rounds in the magazine sometimes the carrier 'is lifted' a small amount towards the side plate and this allows the follower to enter enough to block the downward movement of the carrier. I am not sure why at this point but I suspect that the rocker is sometimes missing the ramp in the lever. It also could be wear on the carrier or too strong of a rocker spring or the rocker needs a touch of fitting. It is new.

I dont understand the interface of the rocker/lever enough to touch either at this point. I do note that the space between the carrier and inside of the side plate are about 0.025" different. Meaning there is a space of 0.025" between the two allowing the carrier to rise that amount. I am in the process of temporarily building up both the carrier and the inside of the sideplate to close/reduce this space to see if the carrier being held in place cures this intermittent problem.

Thanks again for all of your insight. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I am still struggling with the carrier lifting. I suspect that the carrier curved surface is precisely dimensioned to hold back the next cartridge or the follower. But when the carrier lifts this Dimension is lost. It could be that the carrier is worn and out of Tolerance. I will keep trying, but my not understanding how The Rocker and the finger lever interface doesn't help me understand what the problem really is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. Glad you "saved" it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
So far I haven't saved anything. None of the parts appear to be worn, but that doesn't mean that they aren't. I'd prefer to put the old rocker back in the carrier to see what it does at this point. But I have misplaced it. I put the old part in the package that the new part came in and put it back in the box it came in. But for some reason the old rocker isn't there. It might not shed any light on the subject. But it sucks getting old.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I am still struggling with the carrier lifting. I suspect that the carrier curved surface is precisely dimensioned to hold back the next cartridge or the follower. But when the carrier lifts this Dimension is lost. It could be that the carrier is worn and out of Tolerance. I will keep trying, but my not understanding how The Rocker and the finger lever interface doesn't help me understand what the problem really is.
So far I haven't saved anything. None of the parts appear to be worn, but that doesn't mean that they aren't. I'd prefer to put the old rocker back in the carrier to see what it does at this point. But I have misplaced it. I put the old part in the package that the new part came in and put it back in the box it came in. But for some reason the old rocker isn't there. It might not shed any light on the subject. But it sucks getting old.
It has been a while and there is a reason. I have learned that as an amateur tinkerer, sometimes taking a break can prevent me from making a mistake and breaking something. I've been tinkering with a couple of other firearms and learned something that might help with my project. What I learned was that an old pin can be worn enough to affect the function of a firearm. Unfortunately I learned that lesson after I tried to fix a piece that wasn't broken. Oddly, that firearm had a similar issue in that a part was being lifted when it should not have been.

In the case of my 1892 the carrier is lifted 'out of plane' and jambs while cycling a round. For a better word picture, if you would lay the rifle on its side and remove the side plate so that the open side is facing up, the carrier wants to rise up into the space where the side plate used to be. It does the same thing with or without the side plate installed. I hope that is descriptive enough.

I had originally replaced the carrier pivot pin but I replaced it with another 100 year old pin. It seemed tighter but maybe not tight enough. I have since purchased a new carrier pivot pin, along with a finger lever pivot pin, from Jack First hoping that between the two new pins I could eliminate the tendency for the carrier to 'lift out of plane'.

What I notice is that the hole in the carrier for the pivot pin isn't like a normal hole for a pivot pin in most applications. The hole isn't the entire thickness of the carrier. The carrier is relieved at the pin location for the rocker spring and the rocker. So, even the new pin doesn't fit 'tight' into the hole in the carrier. It is possible that the hole in the carrier is 'wallowed' out. As you know, 32 carriers aren't available, at least not new. I have only hand fit the new pin to the carrier, but it appears to have quite a bit of movement from, let's say, side to side.

So the question for this group is, how much 'side to side' movement is there in a carrier that is functioning properly?

The finger lever seemed to have some 'wiggle' to it as well and I purchased a nee finger lever pivot pin as well. I'm just hoping to remove as much 'wiggle' in the cycling as I can and hopefully get this thing to feed properly.

I won't get back to assembling this until this weekend, but I was hoping for those that have them can give a clue as to how much 'wiggle' there is in an 1892 that cycles properly and will feed.

I hope my word pictures are enough to help you understand the issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
A little bit more contemplation and a couple of pins replaced and I believe I have my 1892 feeding normally. The real problem it turns out was the length of my dummy cartridges that I was using to test for feed/function. They have to be long enough to not allow the next cartridge too far into the receiver to block the carrier movement. I made a new dummy that was long enough to keep the next round out of the way and it now feeds. I don't think that this is how the rifle was originally designed as it could have shot either the long or short Colts, but mine is an early model without the magazine disconnect and I understand that wear over time would make firing the shorter rounds problematic.

It turns out the 'lifting' I was seeing in the carrier was the carrier hitting the next round that was still in the magazine but too far into the receiver that blocked the carrier movement towards the bolt. This interference pushed the carrier 'upwards' towards the side plate and locked up the action. What triggered the 'A-ha' moment was when I realized that a single cartridge in the magazine would feed fine but as soon as I put a second cartridge in the magazine it all went to heck.

Now the frustrating part. Even though I installed one of the NOS barrels from Numrich, I didn't buy any dies for it thinking that my troubleshooting might lead me to re-chamber the rifle to 32 SWL. Well, there is no reason to re-chamber it so just yesterday I ordered the 32 Colt dies but they won't be here until Monday. So I can't load up any this weekend to fully test the rifle.

I'm excited to have this working right! I'm tired of working on it and want to shoot it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad you have the gun ready. I to have an 1892 Marlin originally in the 32 rimfire/colt centerfire. This past year I had it relined and chambered to 32 S&W long. I had some head scratching and file work on the bolt to get it to feed correctly. Now I am trying handloads and am having some trouble getting decent groups. Keep up the posts and keep us up tp date.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
I am not done tinkering with this one yet. But this was earlier today.

This is going to be a fun rifle.

(EDIT: Yes, I forgot the bag with my safety gear at home)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
It still amazes me how I can mess up a 10 shot group. But I'm pretty sure the wild ones were me and not the firearm. 25 yards bench rested using factory iron sights and a Merit Optical Aid on my glasses so i could see the sights. It's amazing how well the aid works. Rear sight, front sight, and target in focus. The lower 3 were first before I found a shoulder in the rear sight to nest the front sight in. Just above that were the next 5. Not sure what I did to get the wild ones.

The aiming point was a 6 o'clock hold on the large target in the middle. I still have to move the rear sight a little bit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
looking good, adjust the sights a little, try a little more distance, and you are very close.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Once my stock of projectiles arrives I will take this one out to 50 yards and see how well I can do. I have no plans to shoot this one any farther. The operable part of that is "me" and probably not the rifle. I'll poke around to see if I can find a different load. I'd like something that uses a bit more powder. As it is, 2 grains of Bullseye is difficult to get to 0.10 grain accuracy and 0.10 grains is 5% of the load.

This rifle is destined to be a bunny chaser. A sport I currently use a revolver for.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts