Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS called me and said he just got an 1892 in 22lr in on consignment. He is holding it for me to take a look at it and said it was in good condition. Never had an 1892 so what should I be looking for? He's asking $375, thanks.

Todd

·
Registered
210 Posts
Todd

I don't know what to tell you to look for other than the obvious that you would look for on any used gun, but for the price they are asking it would have to be a boat anchor to not be worth the asking price. We want to see pictures when you get it home.

Tim

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
14,154 Posts
Works basically like a 39A, but isn't a takedown, just a side plate to remove. For the price, even if the barrel needs reclining I would probably buy it. Assuming it hasn't been bent into a U. They usually go for double that plus.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just picked it up and it is way cool!! Front sight is slightly bent but all in all it's in pretty good shape. Most of the case color is gone and a nice patina covers the rest of the metal. Wood is pretty good with some finish gone on the butt stock and a small chip gone on the bottom of BS with normal W&T for a 100 year old gun. No cracks or major gouges, butt plate is cracked with a small piece missing, rear sight is gone but has plug, and most of the screws have been messed with, but otherwise a neat old 1892. Trying to figure out dom, serial # is 405327. I forgot to mention that it has a really neat old tang sight, which looks to be a Marbles....

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link Swany, but I thought that I'd try to get a hold of George Barnes in Amarillo Texas, as I heard that he is a very reputable person to deal with for used gun parts.....(sorry, couldn't help myself)! However, you mentioned that I should "get to work on it". I was thinking of buying a new butt plate and shooting it like I stole it, and someone else was making the payments! What were you thinking??

Todd

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Take it down in as many pieces as you can, get to know the rifle, clean it up and put it back together. Lot of over 100 year old dirt in that gun. You might learn to like it a lot better.

One thing is that you can actually repair a lot of them screw slot damages done in years past if you're handy enough with tools and such. I can't count the screws I've restored. Just by building a jig or screwing them into a hard piece of wood and tapping the damaged slots and restoring them. It takes a long time but 100 year old screws sometimes just can not be bought or made easy enough.

It also gives you a reason to buy more tool toys that will work for you on other projects.

·
Premium Member
14,154 Posts
Also only shoot standard velocity ammo, 1100fps or less, otherwise you could brake the bolt. D.O.B is about 1909-10.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Amen good advice, not much reason to shoot high velocity ammo even in new guns.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a great idea Swany as to repairing the screw heads. I'm guessing a tight hole in a block of wood, hammer and small punch would work, or is there a better way?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts