Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am probably setting myself up for a rash of criticism but at that risk I have two questions concerning an 1892 Marlin I am looking to buy that is chambered in .32 Colt.

First; Is this .32 Colt designation pertaining to the .32 Colt Long or the .32 Colt Short?

Secondly; What are anyone's thoughts on re-chambering this otherwise very well maintained 120 year old rifle to .32 SW.

Thanks,

RLD

·
Banned
2,262 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
OK, I am probably setting myself up for a rash of criticism but at that risk I have two questions concerning an 1892 Marlin I am looking to buy that is chambered in .32 Colt.

First; Is this .32 Colt designation pertaining to the .32 Colt Long or the .32 Colt Short?

Secondly; What are anyone's thoughts on re-chambering this otherwise very well maintained 120 year old rifle to .32 SW.

Thanks,

RLD
Last one of these I saw that had the spare firing pin was priced around $4800 at a collector's show last year. At that rate, you could put that one up for auction, take the proceeds and get a 1894CB in .32 Magnum, have money left over for cases of factory ammo and enough left after that for gold-plated targets. I'd definitely NOT consider a rechambering job. You can still get .32 Colt Long brass if you look for it, plus the heel-seated bullet molds. Probably each shot would knock 10 bucks off the value. The .32 S&W is an inside lubricated number and the rim is slightly larger, which probably means a bolt alteration if they even slide down the tube. The conversion would probably convert it into a $4-500 gun, if it could be done at all. They're hard to find at all and ones with good bores even more so. Most were barn guns. But it's YOUR gun.

The one ad I remember for the 1892 made a lot of the fact that it could handle .32 Shorts and Longs of whatever priming. IIRC, was in Brophy, should you have access to that book.

Stan S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an shoot and load for a Marlin 1892 .32. The little 1892 will handle .32 short, long and some, Extra Long, mine will. I have both rim-fire pins and center-fire pin. Personaly I would not rechamber the rifle. Brass and bullets can be purchased for the .32 Long Colt heel type bullet. The little .32 is a very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. It is yours to do with what you want ,so have fun with it. DT .

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would vote to leave it alone too. But as said, it is yours and you can do what makes you happy if it is possible to even do. I will not criticize you at all. Just if it were mine I would not do it.

Gun shows may be a good place for used brass. Maybe Gunbroker..

I think Remington still made some .32 Colt into the 70s. I know Winchester made some limited runs of Shorts maybe even after that..

·
Registered
5 Posts
i wouldnt!

I have one and don't see how it would work or hold up? and not that they are worth a lot that would drop value to near nothing! if you did convert to 32s&w it would be not be safe in my opinion

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. That $4800 rifle must have been a real show stopper. 32 caliber 1892's in very nice shape can be had for under $1000 these days. As a rule I don't like to modify historic firearms but thought that the .32 SW might be an acceptable way of getting some reasonably priced shooting enjoyment out of the gun and I already have 32SW dies and load data for another firearm I own.

I am a bit puzzled by the comment regarding an unsafe condition if it was chambered to 32SW. I don't have my reloading books in front of me right now but I know the 32SW can be loaded to different spec's and within fractions of an inch is comparable to the 32 Colt Long in overall size. As long as I don't get crazy with my loads it would seem to be pretty much a trade off. I have read several posts touting the .32 cartridge for these type of rifles.

It appears that Winchester is still making .32 Colt Short ammo. Midway has it listed. Kind of pricy ($39/ 50) but available. GAD has Heeled bullets for sale and C4H has die sets for it, so the Colt Short/Long cartridges are reloadable.

If I do buy the piece I'll probably just leave it as is and get the dies and bullets for reloads.

Thanks again,

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correction to the above post, in case someone tries to look up the companies I mentioned in my last post.

C4H is wrong.....the name is CH4D Web site: https://www.ch4d.com/home

GAD refers to Gad Custom Cartridges Web site: Gad Custom Reloaded Cartridges and Shell Reloading Services

CH4D has dies and die sets for both .32 Colt Short and .32 Colt Long

GAD has Heeled base bullets for the Colt .32's and loaded cartridges for the Colt .32 Short ($35/50)

RLD

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I would leave it alone!

I would sell it and get what I 'really wanted' if I really want another caliber but I would not MESS with it.

Cate

·
Registered
250 Posts

1891 AND 1892 Recently aquired along with 350 rds. 32 Colt short and long. Also came with dies and bullets.

Reactions: REK
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.