Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a .32 Long Colt Marlin Model 1892 that has both the rimfire and centerfire firing pins.

Up until a few months ago, I had always used the centerfire pin since .32 Rimfire cartridges are obsolete.
After viewing a thread on making rimfire .32 LC cartridges using .22 RF blanks, I decided to give it a try and
it works!

So, if one has a need for .32 Colt rimfire cartridges, here is the information.....
reloadable .32 rimfire brass

Turns out that the Duo-Fast No 3 produces factory ballistics.

w30wcf

Reactions: graymustang

·
Premium Member
7,255 Posts
I also tried the tool blanks and DGW turned cases in both my .32 RF Ballards, and my .44 RF Ballards. They work, and accuracy is as good as factory ammo. But the issues I had were having to make sure the cartridge is always clocked so the rimfire blank is aligned with the firing pin strike, (minor) and extracting the RF blank after firing. The latter being a huge PITA, as the blanks open and expand in the case, which makes removal a problem. I ended up turning a piece of aluminum out on my lathe to fit the cartridge base, and drilled a hole off center to align with the RF blank. Then a rod small enough to fit into the case with a rounded end to help align the open RF blank mouth to tap it out. This made the process of removing the blanks easier, but in the end it just wasn't as easy for me as simply swapping the firing pin and shooting my CF .32 reloads. If a person didn't have the CF option, then the DGW adapters are a good way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wind,
Thank you for the kind words.

marlinman93,
In the link, the fellows, through experimentation, found that the .22 blank when located in the center (not offset) of a converted .32 LC case worked very well and thus the case did not have be positioned in the chamber to work ..... that is if the converted case was also faced off so that the blank stood proud about .015". By following that instruction, I was able to load and fire the '92 by just loading the cartridges in the magazine without orientating them in any way. :biggrin:

To remove the blanks I place the case over enother case and a few light taps of a hammer on a punch removed the blanks pretty easily.

The exception to that was the No. 4 blank which was too powerful and the blank much harder to remove.

Here's a pic of a case being modified. I'll post a pic of the finished case with the blank in place later.

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a pic of the case head as described above and fired in my 1892 Marlin.

DUO-FAST No. 3 before and after fired

w30wcf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.