Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the accuracy of "modern" .32 Long Colt centerfire ammunition (.299 diameter bullet, internal lube) in an 1892 Marlin? Read somewhere that the bullets are hollow base, meant to expand when fired; but weren't very accurate. The original .32 Long Colt used .313 diameter bullets with external lube. Want to use my 1892 in a CAS match, but rimfire isn't allowed. Not sure the "modern" round nosed ammo is either. Maybe what I need is a source for .313 RNFP lead bullets or molds? I had a post about RF/CF firing pins, and someone supplied some info then, but it all got lost in the server crash. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
DVD,

I have been trying for several months to answer the same question and believe I got the last piece of the solution yesterday.

Here is good article on reloading the 32 long colt:

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=5589

A friend of my brother's pointed this sight out to me they make custom bullet molds and have a mold for a .313 95 grain bullet with sized down base. 313-95-heel for the 32 long colt.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

From the link choose the .313 size and the 313-95-heel.

If you get one before me or find a better alternative, let me know how it works.

Hope this helps.

Jeff,
Arizona (a relatively free state)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeff, both those links were helpful, and also to Vrmntcllr. I did get the CF/RF links before the server crash, and have already received a couple of Wisner pins, still need to fit and install them. By the way Vrmntcllr; I'm Gadgetman1 & 3 on GB & AA, I think we might have bid on a few of the same Marlin auctions. DVD

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jeff and vrmntcllr are the same :)

You raised the price on that 1891 on auction arm. Dote!!!

Bought it for parts anyways ... just kidding :lol:

It's actually a very nice rifle! Nicer than described. One of the cleaner guns I've seen internally with nice bore and strong rifleing. Can't beat the sights, Lyman 1 rear Lyman 5b front ... Maybe not original but one heck of nice replacement set! Wood is good with a few minor dings, Barrel & Magzine mostly all blue. Its a keeper!

I will have to order another center fire firing pin though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duh! Looked at the bottom of one post and the upperleft of the other...

Kind of regretted not putting in a higher bid on that tang-sighted 1891, but that's the other side of trying to snipe...LOL!!

What do think of the 1891 Deluxe on GB (Item #32832250). Seems to have sold for $2200, but got listed again. Then went to $1570.00 w/o meeting reserve. With the listing gap after that auction, looks like he might have sold it and gotten it back a second time. Love to add a Deluxe to my accumulation, but leary of this one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had tried to buy that 1 originally and ended up buying another 1891 32rf deluxe. I think it's a nice rifle, I bet the bore and action are as clean as the seller claims too.

The 32s always seem to have nicer bores than similar 22s.

My only concern and it is small is the "patina" and the checkering on the fore arm. For some reason the forearm checkering seems to wear thin faster on marlins and I can't tell from the pictures if this is true with this gun. It appears nicer than the 1 I ended up with and for less money.

In my neck of the woods the current buy now price is a good buy.

Let me know what direction you head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The barrel gouge that barely shows in pic 2 and a little more in pic 8 looks like it could be real ugly. Wrote rbarn and asked for closeups. Also asked to see the forearm checkering. Otherwise seems to be in outstanding condition. If the gouge and fore stock imprefection (sic) are on the same side, it would still display well! LOL!

·
Registered
56 Posts
DVD,

If you don't buy, I just might. The buy now price of $1,550 seems a darn good price regardless of the blemishes.

Remember only 18K 1891's were ever made, 6K were 32's and only about 2K were deluxe. So that means 1 in 9 guns are deluxe.

Jeff,
Arizona (A relatively free state)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the pics, feel free to bid or buy if you want. May bid on the 1891 .22 side-loader on GB (you know the one) and/or the .32 Ballard instead.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We may be bidding against each other again ...

I have to admit, you got good taste in Marlins!

I would love to see the pics of the 32 if availabl.e

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff;

No problem, I'll forward the pics to you, just need an eMail address. The gouges look like someone used the Marlin as a prop for a workpiece while using a cutoff disk or tile cutter. Restoration would be a weldup and rebluing job. Surely reduce it's value considerably.

My first collecting love is Colt Bisleys, also have a few Colt Lightning rifles and more than a few Winchester exposed hammer shotguns. Started picking up antique/C&R Winchester rifles, but they're expensive. Really started acquiring Marlins because they tended to be in better shape and cost much less than the Winchesters of the same era. Now I'm hooked on Marlins. Need an 1888, 1891 and an 1897 to "complete" my collection (right, like I'm going to stop then...LOL!)

Made rbarn an offer off-auction for less than his BIN, but expect him to at least let the auction run it's course.

DVD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts