Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both an 1897 and an 1892 that I like to shoot, but I can only use standard velocity shells and they seem to be tough to find. However, I have thousands of high velocity fodder at hand for my 10/22 and others. Im wondering if I could have a 39A bolt fitted to either the 92 or 97 to allow me to shoot high velocity ammunition? I guess I could just shoot my 39D or 39A, but I prefer the feel of the older rifles and would like to shoot them even more. Or is the bolt not the only limiting factor in sticking strictly to standard velocity rounds?

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have both an 1897 and an 1892 that I like to shoot, but I can only use standard velocity shells and they seem to be tough to find. However, I have thousands of high velocity fodder at hand for my 10/22 and others. Im wondering if I could have a 39A bolt fitted to either the 92 or 97 to allow me to shoot high velocity ammunition? I guess I could just shoot my 39D or 39A, but I prefer the feel of the older rifles and would like to shoot them even more. Or is the bolt not the only limiting factor in sticking strictly to standard velocity rounds?
The 92 is definitely a much weaker action, strictly a blackpowder-level gun. If it's got any finish left at all, you're killing the collector value by firing it. A hanger, not a banger. Last one I saw was in NRA Good-level finish, $4800 asking.

The '97 could probably be fitted with a 39A bolt, the problem is finding one. Remlington isn't going to sell you one, Numrich has long listed bolts as being out of stock. When they WERE available from the original Marlin, Marlin would only install one at the factory and only on guns less than 50 years old. It's NOT a drop-in part. Headspace is going to need to be adjusted. Have a .22 LR reamer and headspace gauges handy? How about a new lever? The lever is what actually controls lockup. Too long can be shortened, too short is a problem. Only place you're going to get a bolt is off the second-hand parts market, e.g. a wrecked 39A. You'll be getting a used part with an unknown history and still have to fit it(or not, if it's bad enough condition).

Stan S.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a frankenmarlin with an 1892 receiver with what I believe is a 39a bolt so I think it is definitely possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.