Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped of the 1889 .32-20 with Mark at Rocky Mountain Rifle Works in early March and just received it last Friday. When I dropped it off with him he said that he only drilled from one direction which I thought was odd because everyone else has told me that the barrels are drilled from both ends. Looking at the end results I was truly taken back by the skill of this man. Of course he's a custom barrel maker but still what craftsmanship. He said it'll shoot real well now. I guess I'll be bringing it to the Happenz IV.

This is the rifle that one of our members posted last summer that was on the GM website. The rifle is in beautiful shape and it just needed to be relined. She's at Long Hunters now having the MVA #108 installed so it's going to be a fun shooter!

I didn't have a U-Pick fence post handy at the time, so I had to use the next best thing for my photo shoot.

Reline.jpg

20140517_094549.jpg

20140517_094454.jpg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Fine looking rifle you have there!

That looks amazing.

B

Reactions: HDStreet

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got an 1889 from 1893, Seems to be in about the same great shape as yours, but mine has an excellent original bore. I've been trying to find out what I can safely shoot through this old thing, and getting very differing opinions from- "nothing but black powder" to "Ultramax cowboy only" to "Any factory ammo should be fine" I've got Ultramax and Super X for my other 32wcfs (no I haven't started reloading tis yet). any learned opinions to add? I'd appreciate the help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very nice. This was guy in Denver, correct?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice. This was guy in Denver, correct?
Actually north of. He is just outside of Lyons. I was able to drop it off when I was working up there but had to go to Tulsa for work. He then shipped it for me.

Xdraw- I'm using our enablers load of Unique powder and Laser Cast boolits. I'm not home now and can't remember the amount of powder, but I'm sure one of our enablers can chime in on the exact load. The rifle was made in 1892 and handled the load I put through her very well. She just needed some TLC.

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I just picked up a 1889 deluxe, off of GB. And the bore is ok, but I still need to shoot it, to find out. But kind of curious, as to what it cost for the relining? In case I need to go that route.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bet that trigger finger is just itching to have some fun now! Very nice work on a nicer rifle.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just picked up a 1889 deluxe, off of GB. And the bore is ok, but I still need to shoot it, to find out. But kind of curious, as to what it cost for the relining? In case I need to go that route.
With his return shipping, the total bill was $400. His estimate on a time line was 2 months and he beat that by about 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there G -- Looking forward to seeing that beauty in a couple months!

Schtoolee -- $400 seems to be about the "reline standard". With a TJ's liner and John Taylor's fine workmanship - they are about the same as Mark at Rocky Mountain. John is backed up again. Here's a blurb on TJ's liners if you don't have the information.

View attachment 104509

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Very nice----is it just the pictures--barrel length looks longer than the standard 24" Octagon--just curious.

Steve

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice----is it just the pictures--barrel length looks longer than the standard 24" Octagon--just curious.

Steve
It's just the pictures unfortunately, as it's a 24" barrel. But it's fun to handle and shoot and I'm really excited to get out and try her for the first time with the reline!

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Your going to love it---mine was really dirty when I got it ( 24" also)---all cleaned up it shot just like it did when it was new. These are great rifles. I wish I could find one I could afford in a 38-40 now.

Steve

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HD that is an extremely nice reline. I like his technique. Should be
a shooter now. Steve
Thanks, Steve. Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of weeks. If not, it'll be at the Happenz!

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey HD,

Wow!

Forecast: Lots of dinger ringing fun!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Gare,

Tell me about the brand on the Okanogan sticks.

I've been playing around with doing something like that for a while.

B

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gare,

Tell me about the brand on the Okanogan sticks.

I've been playing around with doing something like that for a while.

B
Hey Brian- Those are hand crafted on the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch by our buddy Wind. We had them there at the WDRA last year. Shoot him a PM and a check and he'll send you a set of his wonderful and versatile shooting sticks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts