Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually hang out in the 336 forum but have a question about parts. I am having a 1889 in 32-20 repaired for a friend. This gun had been very abused in the past. It will make a great shooter but never really have big colletor value. My friend is 67 and it was his grand daddy's.

Anyway the part that is missing that and hard to find is the loading spring.

Does any one know where I could locate one. The gunsmith that has the gun is very good, is there a loading gate from another model that could be modified??

TIA

B

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I believe you'll find the loading gate from a new model 1894 will fit, with little or no modification. Be sure to get the screw with it, as the thread will match then. It's possible the threads are the same, but I don't remember.
I have swapped gates before, and I know they work. You should get the gate for a .32-20, if available, or a .357 1894. Don't get one for a .44 mag, as they are different for the larger cartridge.
The part # is 550-114-594 and 550-301-591 at Brownells for the spring and screw. The cost for both is under $15.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Marlinman has a good idea, but actually, I think Wisner's is making new loading gates. They probably are not cheap, but I have fitted a new Marlin gate to an old gun and it isn't much fun. Takes a while and an original size replacement would be much easier to put in. The new gates have a slightly longer body, so you have to file off the rear of the gate, following the contours of the loading port as you go. Then the inside of the gate has to be thinned to let the carrier go by. Takes about an hour if you are careful. Not to mention, unless you are using a gate that is about 25 years old, it will have that ugly V shaped trough in it instead of the original style U shape that looked so much better. All in all, a modern gate will work, but is not ideal from several standpoints, but until recently that is all you could get. Wisner's number is 360-748-4590. 94-43 is their part number on this. Let me know if they really are making these. Somebody should, as many original ones are a little crooked and you can't really straighten them much or they tend to snap off and then you were up the creek! :cry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts