Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Marlin Model 1889 was manufactured from 1889 to 1894 (a few hundred were put together from parts up to about 1903.

Marlins first and maybe the first side eject lever action rifle.

It was chambered in 44-40, 38-40 and 32-20 (a very few were chambered 25-20).

In 1894 it was replaced by the Marlin Model 1894 with a few improvements.

About 55,000 were made. about 18K of those in 38-40.

Proper barrel markings should be Marlin Fire Arms Co., New-Haven, CT. U.S.A. Pat'd Oct. 11, 1887, April 2, 1889.

A beutiful gun, I own a 44-40 myself and would like to own more :)

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Phoenix (A relatively free state)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Marlin manufactured ammunition of a short time and would refer to the 38-40 as 38-40 Marlin Safety in advertising. The caliber marking on the top of the barrel where it meets the receiver was usually 38W or 38WCF. I have not heard of "38 Safety" being used.

The top of the receiver would be marked "Marlin Safety". No markings should appear on the upper tang and the serial number should be in front of the trigger guard.

Does the roll stamp on the barrel match what I indicated in previous post?

MM93 is the local expert and will probably know more. If Marlin ever used 38 Safety as a caliber roll stamp he has probably seen it.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Nope, you've covered it all wery well vermntcllr! I've never heard of one marked that way.
Make sure the rest of the rollstamps on the barrel are as vermntcllr listed. If not, it may be a rebarrel, and someone stamped the caliber incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I agree. You will see all kinds of oddly marked ammo, like 38CLMR ( Colt Lightning Magazine Rifle) but the guns themselves were pretty straight forward. SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts