Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if a "old style" 94 357 mag lifter will work in a 1889 32 wcf ? I have a old 89 that i'm slowly trying to bring back to life,, also I'm needing a loading gate screw if anyone knows a source.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Interesting question. I am somewhat wanting to know this too and I am actually going to try a 44 mag one in a 89 when it arrives in the mail. I am near 100% sure it will work, but it will likely take some slight fitting and modifications.

I will surely let you know if the 94 can be made to fit the old 89 in 38-40 anyway....Goodluck.

Forgot, what kind of problems you having with the carrier? Or you maybe do not have one at all. Mine was double feeding so I bent the lifter upwards a little with heat and a vice and it works great after that. I am still going to see if I can fit a 94 in it though. Just to know for the future..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1889 lifter

I bought this old rifle a while ago, and its REALLY worn out, in fact every thing on it is worn out.I'm just slowly trying to bring it back to at least shootable condition. heres what ive worked on so far, replaced broken firing pin, extractor, ejector,and of course all the screws ive been able to locate. I'm waiting on a loading gate, but ive not located a screw for it as of yet. I dont know for CERTAIN that i need a lifter, but it appears just by watching through the loading gate opening its possible . of course without the loading gate its sort of hard to hold the shells in the proper position to be certain. my plan is to get it functioning correctly and then send it off for a barrel reline, and use it for turkey hunting and as a mate to my old colt built the same time frame. Probably , and logically I should just use it for decorations, but we all know about a ******* and logic (or lack thereof)..LOL

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
The model 1894 replaced the 1889 with some changes so I think it's possible for some parts to interchange with modifications, possibly the loading gate and screw also! Worth a try. Not much to go wrong with an 89 lifter, I'll bet its still good. Get some dummy rounds and try to cycle some ammo.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well heres my project. Took a couple weeks of evenings to finally get it working good. I can run the rounds through it like the Rifleman now:biggrin: People tell me when they can do that you did a good job on the timing and such.

I would fix and shoot yours. No need to let it hang on the wall..

Mine is in 38-40. If you do need some help with parts and stuff. I can put you in touch with a really great old Vietnam Vet that helped me alot with mine.

He is a retired Smith. I actually just traded him some of my spare 89 parts for some other stuff I needed. He is really helpful and even offered me FREE Smithing if I could not get mine figured out.

I relined a spare barrel I picked up. Did the reline myself. I kept the original to go with the rifle if someone else ever wants to put it back. I will shoot the crap out of the relined barrel and save the original from any more use.

I am still looking for original sights. The guy that helped me thinks he has some and is looking now..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NICE!! mine looks about the same externaly, but its a round barrel. I finally found the screw i was missing, so I should be close to having a shooter. I think i will send mine off to have it relined,I dont really have the proper tools and things.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Really the only tool you need is a drill liner bit, reamer. I had a bit till about three days ago but sold it. Rented a reamer.

Yes if you are not real comfortable doing it and do not have the tools. Sending it out is probably best. It cost me around 200.00 to do it myself. Can likely have it done for around 300.00 or even less. But I like to do all my own work..Let us know how it turns out for you..

I get a sort of satisfaction in doing so..

Probably not alot of round barrelled 89s out there I bet..

·
Registered
445 Posts
does anyone know if a "old style" 94 357 mag lifter will work in a 1889 32 wcf ? I have a old 89 that i'm slowly trying to bring back to life,, also I'm needing a loading gate screw if anyone knows a source.
dont think tooo much changed from 89 to 07 as far as receiver dimensions.. it worked in mine with a 1980's barrel and bolt .. this is all new parts in an 07 receiver..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,for your reply. I should find out this weekend if i will need one for sure or not,since loading gate and screw should be here and that should let me test the functioning a little better. I really hope not since someone in the last 120 years has destroyed the head on the carrier screw and i cant get it to budge one iota. So far ive managed to get the rest loose which is good ,but this old gun sure has seen some rough use at some time in the past! I guess if it doesnt work it will be drill and ease out time (which is always fun). I've cleaned enough plain old dirt out of this one to start a dryland farm! If its EVER been cleaned I sure cant tell it.. but its been a interesting and fun project so far, and all that wear and tear and abuse is what what these old guns intereting in my opinion. sort of their history if you will.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Might want to soak that screw with some PB blaster. Great stuff. I have taken some tough to remove buggered screws out with a tiny punch or chisel. If you can carefully get one out on the edge of the screw and tap with a hammer you can sometimes get em to turn from the impact. Of course this has to be done with care..Goodluck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
just an update,I installed the new loading gate, and it functions perfectly! had a box of low powered cowboy loads and couldn't stand it so I tried a few shots this weekend. I hate to say it ,but even with the really worn out,badly pitted bore , and its nearly non- remaining rifling, I think the old rifle will shoot better than i can see to shoot! 3 times at 100 yards off the bench gave about a 3" five shot group,which really suprised me. however, shooting off hand at 35 yards gave me about a 5-6 inch group for ten shots. (guess who needs some range time to practice his shooting!)to say the least i was surprised at how well this old rifle shot,since the old barrel is about the worst I've seen on one. Thats not good groups by most folks standards , but i was pleased that it did that well.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have had some sewer bores before and they shoot really good. I NEVER condemn a Barrel without first shooting it. If it shoots 3 inches at 100 yards, that in my opinion is pretty dang good. Also I assume if you are geting that kind of accuracy you are not getting any tumblers and have nice straight through holes in the paper?

The barrell shown in my photo that is laying beside my 1889 has some really bad pitting, but it will still hold a respectable group however.

Glad it is functioning good. That is great news..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just embarked on resurrecting an 1889 that has been rebored to 357 magnum. I am in process of making a loading gate for it and would appreciate photos of one, front back if anybody has one lying around.

I have a 336 and in the process of bringing the 1889 back, dismantled it to get an idea of the relationship of various parts. Just for fun, tried the 336 screws in the 1889 and all but the tang screw fit. I suspect this is true for other Marlins as they are all decsended from the same Hepburn design.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I have just embarked on resurrecting an 1889 that has been rebored to 357 magnum. I am in process of making a loading gate for it and would appreciate photos of one, front back if anybody has one lying around.

I have a 336 and in the process of bringing the 1889 back, dismantled it to get an idea of the relationship of various parts. Just for fun, tried the 336 screws in the 1889 and all but the tang screw fit. I suspect this is true for other Marlins as they are all decsended from the same Hepburn design.
Do you realize the model 1889 is a black powder rifle? The rebored original barrel is not made to take the pressure the .357 magnum generates! You are playing with a pipe bomb!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.