Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have just received my Marlin 1889 and was wondering if the engraving on it was done in the factory and how I could find out.

The engraving is of a Kangaroo with the word below it, the style of drawing looks very old and the engraving of a high quality.

S/N 62114

Any further information would be great too.

Thanks in advance

Anthony from Austalia

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners!

Sounds like a neat rifle - photos would help us determine the engravings origin. Not from me, but the other experts here on MO.

Regards,

B

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
If its actual "high quality" its probably not factory.:biggrin:

They got paid per item I believe,, it was done PDQ. A buddy has a Ballard with obvious Nimschke or perhaps Ulrich engraving. Both worked for Marlin I believe. The scrolls are fair, but the elk or deer or what ever it is, and the bear on the other side, would not pass the "art test" seen in magazines when a lot of us were kids.

Would still like to see a picture though.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
CJ, I phrased my last comment poorly, as I often do. The animals were top of the line for the time and again they were done in a hurry. But I will stand by my statement in general, there is no comparison of the work offered then, with the TOP animal engravers of later years and at present.

With very few if any American companies even offering "factory" engraving at present, I guess its a moot comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Some of them are gorgeous, but I could see not wanting to take them to the range and getting them all banged up. Those would be 'investment' rifles, sort of like buying precious metals. The engraving isn't my cup of tea, but they are great to look at!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shotgun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun
Netbook Technology Laptop Electronic device Gadget

Hope these pictures help

Also how would I tell if it is a takedown model hear they are rare?

Test fired the little beauty when I picked it up bang bang beautiful action very crisp they don't make stuff like this anymore. I look forward to putting many rounds through it.

One bullet hit the target ? Sideways any thoughts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
View attachment 106829 View attachment 106830 View attachment 106831 View attachment 106832

Hope these pictures help

Also how would I tell if it is a takedown model hear they are rare?

Test fired the little beauty when I picked it up bang bang beautiful action very crisp they don't make stuff like this anymore. I look forward to putting many rounds through it.

One bullet hit the target ? Sideways any thoughts[/QUOTE
The model 1889 only came in solid frame, when the TD came out in the 1894 it had a noticeable frame extension and lever cam between frame and ext. As to the eng. I don't think it is factory, Back in the day some importers-dealers from AU would put trademarks on the imported arms. One dealer who imported Winchesters, marked them "Stinger" that may be what the roo is on your Marlin, Very cool gun! As to bullet hitting sideways, you should reload and find the correct bore dia. by slugging it, then look up 32-20 on this site for some really good loads and it should be fine!

·
Premium Member
7,254 Posts
I try to never say "never", but I'm pretty sure that's nothing Marlin would ever have done. It's also quite possibly not engraving, but rather a custom stamp used by an importer, as cj57 mentioned. The plaque on the forearm appears to be either an owner's initials, or a gift that someone had the new owner's initials put on. Appears it got broken, and someone repaired it with another metal.
Still a very interesting gun, and I'd try to search for any info on an Australian forum as to who might have used the kangaroo image stamp, and name KANGAROO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.