Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have an exploded drawing of a Marlin 1888 they'd be willing to share? Or do you know where I could get one? Thanks and regards, Woody

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Whereabouts in Oregon are you Woody? What are you attempting to do, or trying to find? I'm near Portland, and I don't have a drawing, but I'll try to assist, if you're anywhere close enough.
Bill Brophy's book has some of what you're looking for. If it will help, you might want to get a copy, "Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them"
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mm93, thanks for the reply. I have an '88, or what I think is an '88, since it's not an 1881 or 1889 and is top eject. It's been reblued and among other things won't eject. I'm just trying to find out what parts are supposed to be there and what they look like. There seems to be drawings of every Marlin I've looked for except the 1888. I live in Lakeview. Regards, Woody

·
Registered
719 Posts

AAAHHhhh.........another 1888 project surfaces! 8)
just dropped in from the swiss/swed/nagant world, and what do i find? a 1888 story! :?
be it known! you will travel the dark and curvy road finding 1888 parts....you will see many things, but they will not work or fit, you will have many nights searching, you may have machinists make custom parts at great expense........to get your 88' working. :shock:
do not be discouraged, it is a glorious challenge!

heheehhee.....been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

mm93 is right, get the book, 1st step, 2nd step will be to identify what's missing/broken, if it's the lifter, i have a somewhat shop drawing.....hopefully, it will be something easier, extractor etc.
pm me if i can help, and if you can drive over to mm93 shows, his 88's will show you correct spacing clearances etc.....
and don't forget to ask him if you can see those swiss rifles he has, but won't talk about for fear of being labled MARLIN HERETIC!!!!!!
:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Woody,
Bill's book is the place to start. If you were closer than the other end of the state, I'd get together with you and compare guns and parts. I've spent a fair amount of time working near your fair city! A little place called Adel comes to mind. Pretty steep little hill to climb every morning for two weeks!
If you check the Marlin Firearms web site, they have a store there that sells the book about as cheap as anywhere. Otherwise you might check for it on Ebay. I see them sell there on occasion, anywhere from $35-$55. It's well worth it.
Kaintuck,
I still don't have no Swiss rifles! Got some rifles with swiss buttplates, but no Swiss rifles. (or Swedes either) :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I'll have to spring for the book. I've avoided looking for it 'cause I've already got enough Marlinitis (I think that's a disease caused by not having enough Marlins) or something like that. I'm more a shooter than a collector and I like lever guns. I'd like to get this rifle shootable, however, I've also discovered that the chamber is either ringed or terribly eroded. MM3, How far are you from McMinneville? I'm going to prob'ly be there later this month. Regards, Woody

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'm about 40 miles from Mac. My parents used to live there, but no longer.
If your trip is the last weekend of the month, you might want to plan a detour to the Portland Air Base. We're having an antique gun show the 28th and 29th of August. I have a couple tables there, plus a display of "Special Order Marlins".
We could meet there, if you're in the area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts