Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1885 vernier problems

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  gmmccaslin 
#1 ·
Finally purchased a vernier tang sight for my 1885 winchester highwall. It appears it doesn't drop far enough down to make the 100yd line. After taking some measurements of old vs new tang staff the new one is taller at its lowest setting. Has anyone ever encountered this with the browning sights? Looks like I'm gonna have to install a rear sight on the barrel for those close in shots.

#3 ·
Thanks Wind! I'm thinking of going to a globe front sight. Do you think it might get me the angle I need? The browning sight set said it was made for the bpcr rifles. Maybe they had a longer barrel? Possibly it's just geared for a globe or taller front sight. Btw it looks like your event was a success and the quality of iron only exceeded by the people who brought them!

#4 ·
Hey Phil... I need a picture of that rifle! You are working on a "few" things and I am having trouble keeping up with the right pictures in my mind.

Is that 1885 and old one or Miroku?

Reactions: Sparky civil
#6 ·
Now there is a trick I never even came close to thinking of. That is a good one thanks!
TB it's a Miroku. I will post some pics when I get back. Taking the jet boat out on the river today with some old high school buddies. Then first thing in the morning I'm gonna wring out those wet dogs and a few others.

#11 ·

I tried a Lyman 17A front sight with a MVA tang sight.....didn't work for me so I went back to a taller blade or post front sight. No way to adjust the Lyman 17A for elevation. I like to set my MVA on 50 min. and zero by filing down the front sight. Once done it's a lot easier to adjust the MVA for long range elevation. Adding 33 minutes to 50 is easier than adding 33 minutes to 39 or 47 are whatever. I'm lazy. Also makes moving the staff from one rifle to another simple for the mentally challenged.

#12 ·
JB you may have saved me from buying a 17a I was just looking them over. I think I'm going to have to revisit the range by myself and take the time to get proper measurements possibly the tape trick also. It's just too difficult to do when there's family shooting. I always feel rushed and my goals start falling through the cracks. Oddly even at 300yds I was still holding low to get on paper. I would've thought my rounds would've dropped significantly by then. Guess it's all in the angle.

#13 ·

I have bought several Skinner front sights that are thin post and .500 tall. Brownell's also sell a tall front sight but the post is too thick and needs to be thinned to 1/16 inch or whatever you like. Careful use of a file will thin the post and a bit of flat black paint will do the rest.

Then just shoot and file the top of the sight down until it is low enough to bring the point of impact up to line of sight. I set my MVA tang sight on 50 and file the front sight down until zero is obtained. Done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.