Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was out hiking near Tombstone and I found an old 45-70 case that was stamped 12 84 and R P on the head. It was laying about 4 feet from a shed whitetail antler. I wonder if it was fired in anger or hunting for the whitetail's ancestors. I couldn't pick up either one because I was on the San Pedro riparian area and no artifact collecting is allowed but it was still neat to find. I wish I would have had a camera on me. Anyone else enjoy finding antique cases or spent bullets and arrowheads? I wish those things could talk.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I love finding things like that and I have had a lot of fun introducing others to finding things. After many years I have learned to read and interpret (to a small degree) some of the artifacts I find. Over the years I have come across arrow heads, civil war bullets antler sheds and even an old, rusted civil war rifle barrel and lock. I was fortunate in that all the "stuff" I found, I could keep if I wanted to. Hunting is truly more than the game we seek.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hogbear, are you located in the south or east or maybe both? Out here the artifacts are easily found due to the lack of vegetation. How do you find stuff in the heavily vegetated areas? My brother just moved to the kansas city area and I will probably be prowling around that area in the future. Do you have any tips for finding stuff? Out here I like to look when the sun is low in the sky and watch for the shine reflecting off arrowheads. The historic artifacts I find while looking for the arrowheads. I use a stick to flip up likely targets so I don't have to bend over as much. I only look at surface found stuff and I would never dig anything up because it would lose it's archaeological context but It sure is a thrill to find a point that was likely fired at game or an enemy especially paleo era stuff.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
When I went to Appomattox in Virginia I was talking with a guy. They go out with metal detectors and gps and document things they find and turn them over to a museum. Alot of primer pouches from civil war era get found. The sad truth is things get destroyed by time and land development.
Now myself I would like to find some of the gold and $$ hid along the wagon trails. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess they do the metal detector thing on private land? I agree about the gold. Here in SE AZ there are several treasures from robberies that are supposed to be buried and also several lost mines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts