Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from Maine and was able to get to the gun store there and look at my Mod.1883 30-30 saddle ring carbine I'm buying there.Believe it or not I didn't get much of a look at it before except for the major things like the bore but every thing is there except the ring itself,the loop is but not the ring.the reason I didn't originally look it over and really remember any details is strange but I didn't really consider buying it until I got home to New York and mentioned it to my wife and she asked me why didn't you buy it? I really was stumped but got on the horn and called him up and he put it away for me and I promptly sent him a deposit the outside finish is well aged barrel and tube are blue[ faint but no rust ]the reciever has no case colors left and a little bit of faint pitting.the wood is good with no evidence of sand paper or any refinishing ,it has the carbine buttplate,the ladder type sight and the carbine front sight,the bore is not shiny but shows no sign of rust or pitting and the rifling is sharp and crisp looking and I might add quite apparently ''deep''! 'it should clean up and shoot nicley!My 336 may have to step aside and let "granpa"have first deer this year.I don't remember ever buying a rifle knowing so little about it but it kinda called to me over about 400 miles!Weird or what? while I was there Jim the manager trotted out another mod.1893 in.38-40 and a mod.93 in .38-55 the place is a gold mine of older guns and I asked him if it was alright to mention the name on the forum so he said he'd appreciate it The name is Jim's Gun shop in Winslow, Me. 1-800-540-4423 tell him shootrJ sent you and next time I see him I'll tell him who that is.[he doesn't know my forum name]He's a good guy and a straight shooter.shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Congratulations on your new 1893. I assume that's what you meant, since they didn't make a model 1883? I also assume the .38-40 was a model 1894, as they didn't make a 1893 in that caliber?
These fine old guns really do tlk to you. They keep calling my name, and I can't resist them either! I remember seeing my first model 1893; a .25-36 takedown, with 26" full octagon barrel, and special order sights. I knew nothing about Marlins, but knew Winchester takedowns were more valuable, so I assumed the Marlin was too! Traded a model 1894 Winchester carbine in .25-35, and $100 for the Marlin. They were both from around the turn of the century, and I thought it was a good deal, as the Marlin was a bit nicer condition. All my Winchester friends thought I was both nuts, and a traitor! I just didn't understnd the rivalry between gun collectors? I thought that was just a car guy thing!
Once I took the 1893 apart, I was sold on Marlins! So much stronger in design, and the epitomy of simplicity! What a great design. Wasn't long before I sold the few Winchesters I owned, and started looking for more Marlins! Hooked, and reeled in I was!
Remember, you can't ever stop at just one! They're addictive!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MM93, you were right on both corrections I don't know how they slipped by me but I do stand corrected and what you said in the rest of your reply is true also, I could'nt have put it better myself. If your ever in Winslow,Maine look up that shop there will definitely be something to spend your money on.There was even a Marlin pump shotgun, was it an 1895?I can't remember and if I go look it up I'll wake the wife up and shes' not always appreciative of the importance of model numbers!Thanks for the comeback!shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Too bad that shop is so far away! We never have a decent enough supply of fine old Marlins, or old guns in general!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts