Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this rifle a few years back.No wood, covered with ash deposits and crud that goes with it.All parts seem to be present.The springs have lost most of their spring. Other than that there doesn't appear to be any thing wrong with it. NOW for the OPINION phase.......SHOULD I CONSIDER getting it back to working condition in hopes of shooting it?? I had it glass beaded but nothing else. As stated the springs,such as the one on the loading cover still has some spring.Do you think that the heat would have been high enough to render the rifle UNSAFE ??? 'Looking forward to YOUR thoughts on the matter.Thanks modoc

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Howdy Gutshot

If the fire was hot enough to soften the springs, other hardened parts of the gun likely suffered as well. I ain't expert enough to tell ya proceed, or no, but I'd tread awfully carefully here. I think a gunsmith's opinion would be the one to seek. Some fires can get hot enough to ruin guns. From what you've written it's possible the wood burned off the gun? Or is what happened to the wood simply an unknown? One clue to the heat is having to bead blast all the crap off of it- was likely through some pretty intense heat... at any rate, the receiver and bolt are suspect safety wise...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'd save my money. If it got hot enough to soften the springs, the metal is also annealed, and it will be unsfae to shoot, unless it was heat treated again. The cost of resurrecting the old 1881 would prohibit doing anything with it.
I've got a couple fire damaged guns hanging over my safe that a gunsmith friend gave to me. He said he often got guns brought to him after fires. Most were cases where an insurance company paid off, and the owners wanted to have him restore them. He told me he never repairs guns that have been fire damaged, but he does refinish guns that have had soot or water damage from being in the same room as the fire, but not exposed to heat.
When I asked him where he drew the line, he said if the stock survived, then the gun's metallurgy is fine, but if the stock was badly burned or burned off, it was a goner.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Speaking from the stand-point of my 17 yr. firefighting career - if the fire was hot enough to loose tension in the springs, the rest of the gun is a wallhanger, as indicated by a couple of other members here.

WB

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:( Thanks gents. I was Afraid the consenus would be just as it turned out. But being an optimist wanted several heads thinking aboout it rather than my own.Heck,there was a slim hope.SOOOoo now that leads me to the next question. Would any one you three,or more,have an old set of wood for this poor thing? It is for sure the heavy model.I was given a poor set but it turned out to be for the lightweight rifle.Needless to say it is a tad small and looks pretty bad. Nothing else to do with it but to hang it up for looking at. If you do have a complete set that is not good enough for a shooter but would work on a hanger please advise. If at all possible please include a picture.And the price for sure.I'm not shopping for the best,just complete.Thank you.modoc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts